Capillary Depth Gauge - anachronism or reference...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valeriy_Kulaha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Imagine a situation:
Your main computer and spare computer (or computer your's partner) show different depth readings. Which one is wrong?
How do you know if your depth gauge has started to deceive you?
But first, a little introduction.
a few words about myself.
Old diver - studied at the military school of divers of the engineering troops of the USSR and have 72 year age.
As our instructor said: "Divers are divided into old and brave"
Also:
I am Mr. Valeriy Kulaha - individual inventor from Ukraine and former military diver of Soviet Army. I have obtained a US patent for the new construction of a capillary depth gauge. Patent US # 11525658
Combined capillary depth gauge
Receipt date:12-13-2022
The technical solution allows solving the main problem of capillary depth gauges — the nonlinearity of the scale. The design of the depth gauge makes it possible to obtain an almost linear scale at depths of up to more 100 m, as in modern membrane depth gauges. Also this is only one type of absolute instruments and can use like reference for other type of moderne depth gauges.
The corps depth gauge consists of three or four plastic parts connected by gluing together and a strap for fastening on the arm. According to preliminary calculations allows you to sell it in the range of $15 to $30
In the far away 1989, a small cooperative under my leadership produced and sold a depth gauge in the territory of the former USSR at the price of two packets of expensive cigarettes.
The device was similar to the known capillary depth gauge, but the technology of casting parts from plastic and subsequent gluing was used.
gauge_letter-7.jpg

New device can be next scale from many version
gauge_letter-5.jpg

I want to ask the community - Could this be helpful?

While I applaud your efforts, modern dive computers have become the standard and older style instruments are now viewed as obsolete. Most dive agencies no longer teach dive tables and teach new students to rely solely on a computer. The growing trend for wearing two computers during a dive is getting more popular which pushes older technology further away from contemporary diving. While there may be some vintage divers that might be interested, for the average diver, a capillary gauge is not something, IMHO, that would be used.

While I applaud your efforts, modern dive computers have become the standard and older style instruments are now viewed as obsolete. Most dive agencies no longer teach dive tables and teach new students to rely solely on a computer. The growing trend for wearing two computers during a dive is getting more popular which pushes older technology further away from contemporary diving. While there may be some vintage divers that might be interested, for the average diver, a capillary gauge is not something, IMHO, that would be used.
And how would my first question be answered - which of the two computers shows correctly?
9 meters or 12 meters - with a time of 120 minutes, it can become deadly.
And as the US Navy doctors say:
“ Anyone can get DCS that dives deeper than 30'/10M, regardless of what your dive computer says. ”
I propose to consider the capillary as a back-up or reference.

The first question is not really an issue with a quality contemporary computer. As an example, the Perdix is accurate to the nearest one foot of depth and is 100% reliable for accurate depth down to 435 feet. Granted, a computer can fail and while some carry an additional backup gauge, the trend is to wear two computers. I understand your position, I was diving long before computers so when they came out, they had a lot of issues and many did not trust them. Those days are long gone. The Navy doctor is simply pointing out that everyone has different physiology and even if the computer says you are good, you still might experience a DCS episode. Just responding to your initial inquiry “could this be helpful” and with the current trends in diving and what is available, I see a very limited application for what you are proposing. Again, JMHO so don’t let that dissuade you from moving forward with your project.

I find your invention quite remarkable.
Without diving into the patent, can you explain in simple words how did you get a linear depth scale with such a device?
I see it promising for a number of different applications, including diving computers, for replacing the current pressure transducers, which have a number of issues.

The first question is not really an issue with a quality contemporary computer. As an example, the Perdix is accurate to the nearest one foot of depth and is 100% reliable for accurate depth down to 435 feet. Granted, a computer can fail and while some carry an additional backup gauge, the trend is to wear two computers. I understand your position, I was diving long before computers so when they came out, they had a lot of issues and many did not trust them. Those days are long gone. The Navy doctor is simply pointing out that everyone has different physiology and even if the computer says you are good, you still might experience a DCS episode. Just responding to your initial inquiry “could this be helpful” and with the current trends in diving and what is available, I see a very limited application for what you are proposing. Again, JMHO so don’t let that dissuade you from moving forward with your project.
1. As an engineer, I know that there is no 100% reliable technique. Even NASA fails. The more complex the technique, the more weaknesses. Even here there is a post about Suunto.
Suunto TERRIBLE Customer support - D9
From my own experience - they killed my Cassio watch by putting a bad gasket when changing the battery.
2. Regarding the second computer - why are you sure that it shows correctly.
3. About modern technology - with the GPS system, no one goes to sea without a magnetic compass.

I find your invention quite remarkable.
Without diving into the patent, can you explain in simple words how did you get a linear depth scale with such a device?
I see it promising for a number of different applications, including diving computers, for replacing the current pressure transducers, which have a number of issues.
fig_1_4tube.gif

I combined several capillary tubes of different lengths in one device.
And here is what the hidden part of the capillary tubes face part of the depth gauge looks like. + printed scale

gauge_letter-6.jpg

P.S. Many years ago, I made a one meter long capillary depth gauge out of transparent plastic that measured depth in the range of 8-15 meters with an accuracy of 1 cm. My friend worked in underwater construction and used this device when leveling a seabed for a pier under construction.

Your machine is very very beautiful and busy Russian yellow diving colour

031.JPG

Could you please make with compass for oxygen rebreather machine diving

View attachment 769569
I combined several capillary tubes of different lengths in one device.
And here is what the hidden part of the capillary tubes face part of the depth gauge looks like. + printed scale

View attachment 769570
P.S. Many years ago, I made a one meter long capillary depth gauge out of transparent plastic that measured depth in the range of 8-15 meters with an accuracy of 1 cm. My friend worked in underwater construction and used this device when leveling a seabed for a pier under construction.
VERY clever!
Altitude diving is best done with a capillary gauge...

Why, your computer already compensates for elevation. If not, get a better one.

Back
Top Bottom