Which wrist mount depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you call them? I read it as "available in metric." Surely they sell it in Imperial. They don't sell many metric computers here. See,
I already have a bulky computer and a bulky compass. By the time you get a computer, it will be low profile. I'm starting to feel like a bumblebee with too much pollen on its arms. You still have a chance. You can still get out before you get in. That was the point of your post. Don't give up the fight.

The part where it says "only available in metric." I hate that.

evad once bubbled...
The part where it says "only available in metric." I hate that.
Yep, but that is just from them. Unfortunatly I can't find anywhere else online that sells it. not wrist mount atleast, everyone seems to have the console version. So I will be getting in touch with my local Suunto dealer and pray that they will give me a good price....

Part of me thinks I should just give in and buy a uwatec digital bottom timer, but I already have a watch that works as a bottom timer, and I plan on getting a computer of some sort at some point in the future. So as far as I can tell the only advantage I would get with the uwatec would be not having to press the button on my watch when I go under and come up. That and having a few more bells and whistles..... Okay, just had to justify this to myself once again :)

About the capillary gauges. I talked to someone who owns one today and they said that in the lakes around here they tend to get clogged which needless to say makes them inacurate. So jus tone more reason not to waste $16

~Jess

I finally got a price from my LDS that carries suunto on the SM-16, they quoted me $99 and they are going to have to order the wrist strap which will take about 6 working days. I told him the prices I found online and tried to see if I could get him to lower the price and his response was basically "well if you can find anything for less than this I would say it is a great deal and you should just go for it."

Now I am even more undecided on what to do then ever!

Since I currently plan on replacing it with a computer in the future the cheap one seems nice, but what if I don't end up replacing it for a while for one reason or another? Then I will be bumbed that I didn't get the better one. Plus if it is going to be my backup I dont want it to take up a lot of room in my bag....

decisions decisions.....

I also emailed leisurepro to see if there was any way they could get the gauge for me at a good price... we will see.

~Jess

That's 1/3 the price of a Vyper. Maybe find a used analog of any kind. They don't take up much space. Do you even know if the suunto is actually thinner?

evad once bubbled...
Maybe find a used analog of any kind.
I would like to, but I dont think my LDS willl sell me one for much less than the new, if they even have one. I am going to bug them tommarow.

They don't take up much space. Do you even know if the suunto is actually thinner?
Looks like it to me, I think I am going to go in tommarow and take a look at the modules. The guy at the shop said that it is more of a strap than a boot, and that it is thinner. I wish I could find it cheaper.....

~Jess

evad once bubbled...
Do you even know if the suunto is actually thinner?
Well I went ahead and got the Suunto. Well I paid for it and got the module, just waiting for the diveshop to get the wrist mount parts in. Basically it is just the bare module with a screw on backplate that holds the wrist strap in place. Unfortunatly it isn't really that much thinner than a standard wrist boot, but it is slightly smaller and the cheapest thing I found locally.

I saw the Uwatec one at a dive shop today. It is what I would prefer, very thin in comparison. But I just cant justify $190 for an analogue depth guage.

~Jess

What about buying a Timex Helix D M ? You can get one new on eBay for $63 here. Also a used Suunto Favor would serve your purpose well. It's a barebones computer that in guage mode is exactly what you are looking for. I have seen them go for $75 on eBay recently....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom