Capillary Depth Gauge - anachronism or reference...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For rec diving I’m pretty happy trusting my compy for depth and pressure both. If the sensors are slightly off it will be covered by the fairly conservative safety margin. If it’s way off I’ll know. If it fails entirely I’ll just come up slow, that’s always an option with the diving I do. If I needed to confirm it I’d use a long tape measure or a point of known depth somewhere. If it needed to be recalibrated or something I think the shop would do that in a transparent pressure vessel, not my problem either way.
It’s a nifty invention with the multiple labyrinth tubes packed in to give a mostly linear scale, don’t see much application though. Sort of like designing an improved bend-o-matic analog computer: sure it would be cool but why?

Sort of like designing an improved bend-o-matic analog computer: sure it would be cool but why?
I think of vinyl records, which are enjoying a resurgence in popularity. If the main attraction of this gauge lies in its retro/vintage/minimalistic character, that seems worthy enough. As you said, "it would be cool."

Do let us know when Gramy has a prototype out: be nice to see it.

While digital gauges/computers are accurate, some folks such as myself like the look and feel of an analogue gauge.

If you are looking for a market opportunity, consider combining your capillary gauge with a simple watch with a moveable needle/hand to track elapsed time. I have been looking for a simple watch/depth gauge that can be worn as a backup on a dive, and as a watch on surface (but keeping the look of a diving gauge).

Cheers
Rohan
Almost ready to sell! Latest technology improvements and tests. I think the price will not be more than 25 dollars. This option is for freediving, snorkeling and a reserve parachute.

Attachments

• IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4438.JPG
    IMG_4438.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 46
I think of vinyl records, which are enjoying a resurgence in popularity. If the main attraction of this gauge lies in its retro/vintage/minimalistic character, that seems worthy enough. As you said, "it would be cool."
Not quite the same thing. Some hard core audiophiles maintain that the sound quality itself of vinyl is superior, as opposed to just liking it because it is retro or vintage.

Not quite the same thing. Some hard core audiophiles maintain that the sound quality itself of vinyl is superior, as opposed to just liking it because it is retro or vintage.
That's right. Just as the OP here may maintain that a capillary depth gauge is "reference"-quality--"superior" in some functional respect.

But in both cases, the main attraction to others might be the "retro or vintage" esthetic.

Almost ready to sell! Latest technology improvements and tests. I think the price will not be more than 25 dollars. This option is for freediving, snorkeling and a reserve parachute.
Really nice but what is the difference between this gauge and the other available capillary gauges?

I started SCUBA diving in the late sixties with a capillary depth gauge. It worked well and was reliable although a little hard to read sometimes. Later, I got a needle type gauge. There was a lot of difference between the two and truthfully, the capillary gauge was more user friendly. It was a size thing. The needle gauge was big and clunky and stuck out from my wrist. The capillary gauge was thin and weighed practically nothing. I could see a use for one that could be fastened to the backside of a console as a cheap double check on the fancy computer.

Really nice but what is the difference between this gauge and the other available capillary gauges?
What is the main difference between the new and previous models.
1. Housing strength. In the old model, a soft plastic tube was attached to the housing with a scale and could be dislodged or lost due to external influence. The new model is a monolithic, durable body that requires the use of a tool to damage.
2. Accuracy of readings and ease of reading. You can compare the two scales.
3. Maximum suitability for shnorkeling, initial training and also as a safety device for decompression stops
depth_guauge_Collage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom