Which set of budget gear (Aqualung, Mares, or Scubapro)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where you at kiddo?
There have been some great trade in deals in Canada. Get a beat up broken down 1st and second stage where ever you can...and trade it in. Some of the co. have had deals as low as $299 for mid -range regs. Aqualung for sure and I pretty certain Oceanic has one also. Maybe the same in U.S. ask around. As far as the different makes, its like all equipment...personal preference and serviceability.
Good luck

I am partial to Aqualung/Conshelf/Titan/Apeks and Scubapro. Might want to look at the Titan instead of the Calypso for $30 more you get a balanced 1st and it will stay current as she advances.

Never had a Mares, never will.

I love my Connie's.

I would go for the Scubapros. Scubapro is now known for thier great customer service, keeping their reg Techs up to speed. Free parts for life, not every 2 years like Aqualung and Apex. The MK2 is a solid performer and has been in the Scubapro line up for a long time.

My order of preference:

Regulators:

Scubapro
AquaLung or Oceanic
Not much experience with Mares, but don't care to own one.

Buoyancy:

Oxycheq BP/30 lb. wing/single piece harness

I would buy what I could easily get serviced locally and when traveling. I don't buy "package deals" so I can get exactly what I want. Some manufacturers make great BCDs, but not-so-good regulators, etc.

Hi Kiddo,
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but here's some other thoughts:

1.) Buy either the regs or the BC, then wait a year and buy the other. I bought my BC first, and continued to rent regulators for a while. I chose to do the BC first so that I'd have a good fitting BC, and wouldn't have to worry about always moving whistle, slate, etc from rental BC to BC, and the rental regs that I got always seemed to be fine.

2.) Make the choice of regulator based on what the local shops are able to service. I think all three brands named are solid companies, but if you don't have an LDS in the area that works on that companies gear, you might have problems getting the regs serviced, or have to send them out. Maybe someone can weigh in on the unbalanced 1st & 2nd stages MK2/R190. I've never dove them, but you might need to be concerned with not getting good enough performance out of them- you'd hate to have to upgrade in another two years.

Good luck, -Todd.

Hi Kiddo,
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but here's some other thoughts:

Maybe someone can weigh in on the unbalanced 1st & 2nd stages MK2/R190. I've never dove them, but you might need to be concerned with not getting good enough performance out of them- you'd hate to have to upgrade in another two years.

Good luck, -Todd.

I've had two MK2s and never had a problem with one. You don't have to get the R190 with it. You can go ahead and get any second stage you want (G250, S600 or whatever) and it'll breath as easy on the MK2 as it will an MK25 but it won't deliver as much CFM if you do need it. My son's using an MK2 with my old Atomic B1 second and it breaths just the same as it did on the MK20.

sherwood.

and i'm asumming you're buying new?? why buy new when you can buy quality used gear?? tons of would-be divers out there selling their prematurely purchased gear on ebay.

I just bought a Sherwood Maximus Reg with octo and gauges on ebay for $200.

First, I recommend that you rent for a while. But, if you just can't quell your desire to own your own stuff (there are advantages) you might look into buying good used gear. w0nger is right about a lot of people getting their gear right after OW certification only to leave it sitting in the closet. They end up selling it after only a few dives. Maybe your LDS sells gear on consignment. You can have them check it out to make sure that it is safe.

Some dive shops offer their rental gear for sale after only a year of use. You will get a big discount on the gear and you will knoow that it has been well maintained and who maintained it.

Mares makes quality equiptment - BUT make very sure that you have an AUTHORIZED service shop available.
Mares parts are VERY TOUGH to get. This has always been the only problem with them.
Scubapro is probably more readily available and also good stuff.
Aqualung again - make sure you have an Authorized shop available. Parts are more readily available. They also make good stuff

Sorry to make this any longer, BUT..........

Basically all of those 1st and 2nd stage regs are the same, unbalanced, piston regs.
Aqualung tend to be cheaper to service (I do all) as you can buy bits individually (not a full service kit).
Aqualung BCDs do not fade.
Best bet? See what you are comfortable wearing (esp. BCD) and go with that.
If you go Aqualung the Titan upgrade (balanced 1st stage) is very cheap and worthwhile.

Other than that, get the best deal.
SAME thing, different prices!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom