Which set of budget gear (Aqualung, Mares, or Scubapro)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiddo

Registered
Reaction score
A friend would like to buy her own equipment but is not a hardcore diver so she would prefer entry level stuff as she is also on a tight budget. She has narrowed it down to the following:

Aqualung:
Calypso regulator
Calypso octopus
Seaquest Pacifica BCD

Mares:
Rebel R2 regulator
Rebel octopus
Vector Origin BCD

Scubapro:
MK2+/R190 regulator
R190 octopus
T-One BCD

Which would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance. :)

Scubapro is not budget gear, at least as far as I have seen.

The Mares R2 is a solid regulator (I have 3), being unbalanced it will breath hard on low tank down deep. Not a big deal for me since I tend to avoid running my tank low down deep, maybe for others depending on their dive profiles. I still think its a good buget package (about $440 or so) with basic depth and pressure gauges.

I second for Mares gear. Top notch dive equipment. I'm very happy with my Mares reg abd BC.

If she is on a budget, and not a hardcore diver, maybe she should consider renting? You really need to dive quite a bit before it's worth it to buy.

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

My personal preference would be

1-Scubapro
2-Aqualung
3-Mares

but those are all quality manufacturers. Not sure about the cheapest (price) but it would probably be the reverse order of my preferences.

I would go for the Mares setup. It's good solid gear and service would never be a problem.

For personal reasons I try to avoid buying anything marketed by Aqualung or Scubapro.

I fifth the Mares gear. Tough as nails, never had a problem with my mares BC (after 1000 dives) or reg (about 500 dives). Good equipment, easy to have serviced.

JP - Why not ScubaPro? Personal experience?? They seem to have a good, long standing reputationa nd fair pricing. (No, I don;t work for them!)

Just curious, as I am looking to buy my gear soon, too!

MAX

ABM- Any but Mares, In some places hard to find LDS that will work on them, change their specs way too often...And I could go on

The Scuba Pro is a good set up and nothing wrong with Augalung

my 2cents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom