• Mares MR22 Abyss

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Scubapro MK25 G250HP

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Poseidon Jetstream/Odin

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a regulator which will be used for rec diving in tropical locations like Caribbean, Red Sea, etc as well as in cold Ontario lakes and rivers. So far my choices are limited to the simlarly priced regulators in the poll. Which one would you choose considering the diving prefernces and a price?

I'm wondering whether to get the ATX50 or the G250HP. They are the same price at my LDS, although he said the apex octo was quite a bit more than the SP R190 octo. He also mentioned the higher IP of the apex might be an issue (free flow) when mixing other brands of octos with the apex 1st stage.

Any suggestions? I know Apex is very popular on this board...

Bryan.

Hi,

i dove both APeks and ScubaPros, though not the models you mentioned above (ATX200 and Mk25 with an R390) and both are excellent regs. I prefer the ScubaPro at depth i.e. below 35m, but above that either are as good ad the other.

I'd check see which is easier to get serviced locally and i'd go with that.

Excellent regs both. Good diving :)

S

The Mk 25 G250 is a great reg with easy breathing and excellent performance. Scubapro is also very good about continuing parts and service support for its regs for decades and trys when possible to make improvements retrofittable into older regs. Service work is also widely available as the dealer network is quite extensive.

The only negative is less than perfect cold water (less than 45 degrees) performance with the MK 25 first stage.

opt for the DS4 first stage rather than the DST.

I have the turret model and disliked how it put a slight pull on the reg hose...since I moved it to my stage bottle, that's not an issue any longer. Plus, not having the turret o-ring eliminates another dreaded 'potential failure point'...

AL Titan LX would be my choice over all those

I see you guys prefer Apeks (from poll results). I understand that it performs better in cold water. Now what about Mares? There was Aqualung Titan LX mentioned here, which is cheaper than any of above. Mike, can you explain why it's better than any of these?

I have never used those regs listed above but I love my Sherwood Maximus. I have only dove in pretty cold water around Nova Scotia in the Atlantic and it has always performed great. Very comfortable as well.

TKOS:
I have never used those regs listed above but I love my Sherwood Maximus. I have only dove in pretty cold water around Nova Scotia in the Atlantic and it has always performed great. Very comfortable as well.
TKOS does that bleed on the maximus get on your nerves, i want to buy sherwood but i think that would stop me ,LP has a great sherwood package. Do you hear it when you dive, Thanks

No, the bleed is pretty small and I can only hear it if I hold my breath, which I only did to see if I could hear the bleed. The fact that the hose runs under my arm instead of over makes things really comfy for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom