All Around Reg for Travel Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that the underpaid monkey at the resort, or the underpaid monkey at the home dive shop? :eek:
At the resort. And while these work on the regs of the rentals, they are not under the same time pressure and those may not be the same brand/model. Do they use similar but not the same parts? This does happen. Better to service regs by a consistent source.

I am very interested in the AL ACD and have heard that it might be good protection. I am not sure I understand from prior comments which AL Reg / Series to look at to fit this? AL seems to have lots of options.

I am very interested in the AL ACD and have heard that it might be good protection. I am not sure I understand from prior comments which AL Reg / Series to look at to fit this? AL seems to have lots of options.
I wouldn't bother with the ACD. It is better than the oceanic-style auto close mechanism but it is absolutely a solution in search of a problem. Just use your dust cap!

AL does have lots of options, so does SP, and most other brands. My advice is to not spend much. Get a simple reliable reg set and enjoy diving.

Regardless of others, I like the ACD and it works much better and is more reliable than a dust cap at keep water out, that is an opinion based on my experiences owning two regulators with the ACD.

James

The Sherwood SR2 Is a totally sealed and dry flow through piston that offers top performance. They have very good support too. For some reason this regulator does not get enough mention. Sherwood was traditionally and often sold as a second line at Scubapro dealers. They were known to be rugged and dependable but add super high performance to that for the SR2. The method of sealing is also IMO better than filling an ambient chamber with expensive O2 compatible grease. If water gets under the boot of a "packed" chamber it can get trapped in there and cause accelerated corrosion, no such risk with the SR2. The SR2 deserves more love...

Not to be repetitive but then why not? Everyone else is. I like the AL Titan LX> Core Supreme>Helix Pro regulator series very much. It is relatively simple, proven design, very high performance, reliable and the first stage is not only an evolution of the Conshelf it also has the ACD feature which I like regardless. For a major manufacturer product it is also relatively inexpensive.

Reaffirming my regard for the series, I just returned from Cozumel where I had a G250, a G260 and a Kraken equipped with a Core second stage for an octopus. If I was pressed to say which second stage (regulator) breathed the best (subjective indeed) I would have to say my Core did. Okay, okay, the G250 on a Mark V or X is the best ever but the OP is looking for a new regulator for travel and recreational diving. The new Helix Pro is it, it is also very compact first stage, sleek second stage and light weight set for easy packing for us weight weenies.

James

I too am a big fan of the core supreme and Titan, so much so I built one of each from parts. Very compact minimal ip swing, dirt simple. Yes, "currently" my first stages of choice but boy the service kits are spendy.

You don't need photos but I'm gonna post anyway as I like looking at my handy work:

Attachments

• 04C72C42-3E08-474A-9BF9-2C1D65789500.jpeg
    04C72C42-3E08-474A-9BF9-2C1D65789500.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 853B2A2A-AEC5-4483-BE65-1C198A78E1DB.jpeg
    853B2A2A-AEC5-4483-BE65-1C198A78E1DB.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 6A2FD111-4B8C-4A83-AB3F-2DDB7B920562.jpeg
    6A2FD111-4B8C-4A83-AB3F-2DDB7B920562.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 65
  • E62F1608-7693-4917-8C2A-E94DA7F1F3B7.jpeg
    E62F1608-7693-4917-8C2A-E94DA7F1F3B7.jpeg