All Around Reg for Travel Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you everyone for the helpful and constructive input. After much research, I am focusing in on ScubaPro either MK11 MK19 or MK 25. Also a bit looking at the Atomic Z2.
Seems like MK11 gets really great reviews and is very popular. And there are some good pricings out there.
How important is having sealed first stage? I have seen lots of debate, but for more casual recreational fun diving but perhaps in California, it seems like it might not be critical and worth additional price / weight.

Thank you everyone for the helpful and constructive input. After much research, I am focusing in on ScubaPro either MK11 MK19 or MK 25. Also a bit looking at the Atomic Z2.
Seems like MK11 gets really great reviews and is very popular. And there are some good pricings out there.
How important is having sealed first stage? I have seen lots of debate, but for more casual recreational fun diving but perhaps in California, it seems like it might not be critical and worth additional price / weight.
I have really enjoyed my MK11 with a C370. I have had this combo beyond 120 ft in 40 deg water many times without a single problem. It's a great choice, but there are many other choices that are great too.

I like my Mk19 Evo's with G260's just as much. But I think other brands are just as good, and the Deep6's might be the best bang for your buck.

Scubapro Mk 11 checks those boxes. Not a high performance reg but it will easily do what you need, and is okay-ish for those more challenging cold and dirty waters. I have two.
How is it not high performance? Cheers.

Aside from reducing chances of freezing in cold water, sealed diaphragms also offer a benefit in warm, salty water...they are sealed. Most piston regs need to be rinsed and soaked to get the salt out of the ambient chamber. A lot of folks don't do this well (at all?) on multiple days of Caribbean vacation diving. So a sealed diaphragm keeps the ambient chamber nice and clean.

My personal bias is toward piston first stages. SP Mk25/S600 is commonly seen; I went with the slightly lighter Mk21/S560 for travel. Happy.

Mk21/S560 for
Mk21s are as rare as hens teeth here, I just don't see them, now Mk25s are like dog poop, they are all over the place.

Oh no, can't find that sarcasm font.

All great regulators suggested above.

I can get used MK21s if anyone really wants one.
You can still buy them here new, but a Mk21 G260 is the same price as a Mk19 G260 [still cheaper by $75 than the Mk25 G260].
Atomic are pricing themselves out of the market at $164 more for the Z3 and $635 for the ST1 here.
T3 more expensive than the Mk 25 T by $304.
The Mk19 is a bargain at the moment in Australia.

Back
Top Bottom