All Around Reg for Travel Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been researching options for buying a new regulator to replace one purchased long ago. Have spent hours reviewing posts, reviews, and it is a bit overwhelming.
Looking for recommendations for good budget friendly reg to use when traveling to resorts / liveaboards for maybe 10 to 20 days per year.
I have a feeling there are others in this position especially coming out of Covid, but I have not identified a thread for the general fair weather recreation diver.
Some considerations below. Any referrals / recs appreciated! If this is a dupe any help with links appreciated.
Was hoping to find something well under $1000 but maybe in these days of inflation that is not possible.
If others doing same research and want to add considerations that is helpful!
  1. Safe / reliable
  2. Travel friendly
  3. Easy to maintain
  4. Well known brand that will be easy to get serviced / supported in both USA and international
  5. Budget is a consideration, but not sole factor.
  6. Mostly for touristy tropical dive locals (Caribbean, SE Asia, Red Sea, etc) but could also handle California type diving or even the Socorros but maybe in those cases you rent if something more is needed.
  7. Features and flexibility appropriate for non technical diver but expandable for example to get AI dive computer

look at Aqualung and Scuba Pro, I use an Aqualung LX and the wife has a MK25.
They both breathe easy at any depth, and are full adjustable.
It just depends on your $$$.

Anything from Scubapro, Aqualung and Mares will work. They all have good parts availability throughout the world with Scubapro leading the pack.

I'm partial to Mares, so keeping in mind that you want a lighter weight regset, I'll recommend either the Prestige 15X ($405 with Prestige octo) or Dual Adj 62X ($795 with Dual Adj octo). Prices are from scuba.com.

I actually bought the Prestige 15X for my son when he got certified 2 years ago. It works great and it's been around for awhile (the second stage with a different faceplate is called the Rover and has been their standard second for almost 20 years) so every tech should have worked with it.

The Dual Adj 62X is positioned to be the mainstay of Mares' line. It's a compact diaphragm first stage and the second stage is essentially the Rover/Prestige updated to be adjustable.

A Deep 6 1st stage and a pair of 2nds will run you $660. Hog prices are in the same ball park. Both have a rotating swivel and 5th port, so hose routing is very nice.

Atomic Aquatics makes easy breathing, reliable regulators for reasonable cost. Light weight and compact.

As other folks have pointed out, just about any name brand regulator will fit the bill in terms of safety and reliability. I'm going to second the vote for Deep6. They are reliable regs and are cheaper than most other brands. I use them on my deep, technical dives, so they'll certainly fit the bill for anything you want to do recreationally.

Anything from Scubapro, Aqualung and Mares will work. They all have good parts availability throughout the world with Scubapro leading the pack.

I'm partial to Mares, so keeping in mind that you want a lighter weight regset, I'll recommend either the Prestige 15X ($405 with Prestige octo) or Dual Adj 62X ($795 with Dual Adj octo). Prices are from scuba.com.

I actually bought the Prestige 15X for my son when he got certified 2 years ago. It works great and it's been around for awhile (the second stage with a different faceplate is called the Rover and has been their standard second for almost 20 years) so every tech should have worked with it.

The Dual Adj 62X is positioned to be the mainstay of Mares' line. It's a compact diaphragm first stage and the second stage is essentially the Rover/Prestige updated to be adjustable.
What do you think to the mares SXS 62X? Is it good or style over substance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom