All Around Reg for Travel Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sherwood SR’ 1 and 2 are top performers, MK 21 is also very nice, Aqua lung is probably the most commonly seen regulator in SEA.

im using Sherwood exclusively at the moment, not a complaint from the first stage, the best sealed piston design yet, just picked up a Zeagle F7 which will start into rotation as soon as the DIN parts come in because I really don’t like swivels all that much.

There are hundred's of people from around the world on SB and many of them are dive equipment technicians working in dive resorts around the globe and at dive shops in the US, I am sure that they feel great and are happy when they read that they are called "monkeys" on SB. How tactful and professional.
I would not presume to speak for anybody else, but I took the comment as a way of good natured ribbing.

As an example, I spent almost 30 years working in Air Defence. That brought me into close contact with some of the world's most highly trained people, fighter pilots of the RCAF and the USAF. Having said that, it was not uncommon to refer to these incredibly talented and exceptionally well trained individuals as "stick apes" and they, in turn referred to people in my profession as "Scope Dopes". Whether it was a controller calling a pilot a "Stick Ape", or a fighter pilot calling their controller a "Scope Dope" it was done in good nature and there was no doubt as to the level of mutual respect. It was simply a way that we addressed our counterparts. It was, in many ways seen as a tongue in cheek term of endearment.

That is the nature with which I took the original comment, no more than some good natured banter, but as I said, I do not presume to speak for anybody else.

I would not presume to speak for anybody else, but I took the comment as a way of good natured ribbing.

As an example, I spent almost 30 years working in Air Defence. That brought me into close contact with some of the world's most highly trained people, fighter pilots of the RCAF and the USAF. Having said that, it was not uncommon to refer to these incredibly talented and exceptionally well trained individuals as "stick apes" and they, in turn referred to people in my profession as "Scope Dopes". Whether it was a controller calling a pilot a "Stick Ape", or a fighter pilot calling their controller a "Scope Dope" it was done in good nature and there was no doubt as to the level of mutual respect. It was simply a way that we addressed our counterparts. It was, in many ways seen as a tongue in cheek term of endearment.

That is the nature with which I took the original comment, no more than some good natured banter, but as I said, I do not presume to speak for anybody else.

What you consider as "good natured ribbing" in your culture, will be considered most offensive in other cultures around the world. What is good in North America, can be very insulting to others in Asia, ME, etc. Calling people "monkey's" or "dogs" is extremely demeaning and can be considered an attack on their honor or religion or the values they hold dear, it is certainly considered some of the most serious insults. What was said above wasn't said in "good nature" at all, it was meant to be a put down to technicians in remote dive destination. You have to look at the whole context. What you use to joke around with your friends and co-works, doesn't mean that you can use the same with others from around the world.

One has to be sensitive and considerate of others from different cultures and countries around SB. Just like you have to be careful with race and gender jokes in America even though they may be OK in some closed groups of friends. If you say what may be interpreted as a sexist joke or remark in America, you will most likely be skinned alive and used as a sacrifice to the feminist gods. I doubt that you would do that in America.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom