• Mares MR22 Abyss

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Scubapro MK25 G250HP

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Poseidon Jetstream/Odin

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katz:
I see you guys prefer Apeks (from poll results). I understand that it performs better in cold water. Now what about Mares? There was Aqualung Titan LX mentioned here, which is cheaper than any of above. Mike, can you explain why it's better than any of these?

Not going to say better.....just a much better buy IMO. I have Titan LX and Legend. Legend does not breath any better in recreational limits than the myTitan so for your application it is a fine rig. I think your throwing away money on some of the other rigs that you could spend elsewhere.......again...just my opinion. Also depends on whether your LDS can service the AL or not. Otherwise, Apex. Personally, I don't care for any of the Mares regs.

How cold of water are you going to be diving and how often. That will also affect the choice. Tough to make a choice when you are looking for this type of use. Your going to need a better rig if your going to be doing much cold water diving. In that case I might choose the Apex. Or at least consider the Legend series but your talking way more money and you wanted a rec. warm water reg so I imagine that pricing is an issue.

5615mike:
How cold of water are you going to be diving and how often. That will also affect the choice. Tough to make a choice when you are looking for this type of use. Your going to need a better rig if your going to be doing much cold water diving. In that case I might choose the Apex. Or at least consider the Legend series but your talking way more money and you wanted a rec. warm water reg so I imagine that pricing is an issue.
I'm going to dive 2-4 times a month in a cold water (down to 3C, or 38F), the rest (around 20-50 dives a year) will be in a tropical locations like Caribbean, Red Sea.
Also, what do you think about Aqualung Cousteau Glacia?

MR-22 by far the best reg I'v ever used in cold or warm water check out the mares web site and see all the records it has set. The abyss second stage is a well proven reg. I was in the St Clair rever last week (29 degrees) with no problems I recommend you try all the regs and then just get the MR-22

gto1:
MR-22 by far the best reg I'v ever used in cold or warm water check out the mares web site and see all the records it has set. The abyss second stage is a well proven reg. I was in the St Clair rever last week (29 degrees) with no problems I recommend you try all the regs and then just get the MR-22
Are you sure that it was 29 degrees? It's below the freezing point.

The ScubaPro and Atomic regs are piston based and not suited for very coldwater diving, so I would skip those. I don't know much about the Poseidon. other than that they have a great reputation for extreme cold diving; I would be somewhat worried about service when traveling.

That leave the Apeks and the Mares. The Apeks breathes a little easier, but is much wetter. The Abyss is all metal, but heavier and has no adjustments.
I don't like the Apeks 2nd stage very much and would probably lean towards the Abyss.

In your case I would also consider the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme and Legend Supreme. These have a first stage that is similar in design to Apeks, but a far better 2nd stage.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

It has always been my feeling that a travel regulator should be one that is easy to have repaired no matter where you are in the world.

If I were you that is the angle I would be looking from. After all you can have the best regulator in the world but if you something goes wrong and you can't fix it in some out of the way corner of the world what real good is it?

Kevin Parkhurst

Katz, the St Clair river has a constant current of at least 3 knots. I noticed that you are from Canada so one of these days you should come to Sarnia and see if you think the water is 29 degrees.

I have the Mk25/G250HP setup and like it a lot. I don't do any cold water diving though.

I would get either the ScubaPro or Apeks setup. It would also depend on which one I could get the best deal on.

I have used the MK 20 and Mk 25 extensively in cold water. Water temps at depth are in the upper 30 to mid 40 range in the summmer and run around 34 degrees in the winter. I have yet to have a Mk 20 or 25 freeze up but then I also use low pressure steel tanks and use good technigue with the reg in cold water (under 40 degrees). The freeze problem with the Mk 25 is there, but it is not nearly as bad as many people believe.

If in doubt, get a Mk 16 with a G250 second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom