Which Octo for an Atomic B2 Primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know there are quite a few Atomic B2 and T2 (Z2, M1, etc.) divers here.

I've been diving a B2 with an Atomic SS1 for years (which I'm *very* pleased with).
However, going forward, I'm adding a standard octo, primarily for travel.

I don't want to stint on the reg (and didn't on the SS1), however, I'm not necessarily looking for a $300 octo.

For those of you diving Atomic primaries, what are you (successfully and happily) using for your octo?

I'm happy with a Dacor Vyper as an octo.

Being a side-exhaust, it works equally well either side up, which could be important when sharing air. Not having to twist the hose around to get the right side up also effectively lengthens the 40' octo hose by several inches.

I'm happy with a Dacor Vyper as an octo.

Being a side-exhaust, it works equally well either side up, which could be important when sharing air. Not having to twist the hose around to get the right side up also effectively lengthens the 40' octo hose by several inches.
Charlie, you're the second one that's told me they're using a Dacor Vyper octo, for that very reason...

I don't believe it's a balanced reg, with a venturi, or de-tune knob... have you had any issues with free-flowing at all?

I own 2 B2s, one I have a Mares MV octos (similar to the Dacor Vyper) and a Z2. I recently switched to the Z2 and I love it. My reasoning was if someone needs my octo, they may be a bit panicy. By letting them breathe easily off my Z2, they will relax quicker and use less air.

Charlie, you're the second one that's told me they're using a Dacor Vyper octo, for that very reason...

I don't believe it's a balanced reg, with a venturi, or de-tune knob... have you had any issues with free-flowing at all?
Never had any sort of problems. It's set up the typically high cracking pressure normal for octos (1" H2O or so IIRC), but it breathes pretty good. Much better than the Aqualung LPO that it replaced -- even when it was set up to near zero cracking pressure, the LPO had a high work-of-breathing. In other words, if you tried to take a big huge breath (as would be likely by a diver that has run out of /low on air), it just didn't feel like it could deliver it.

The Dacor Viper OTOH, feels good when you suck a big huge lungful out of it rapidly.

Charlie Allen

p.s. I have it on a B1 rather than a B2, but they are pretty much identical, particularly since I've done upgrade of the B1 piston to the jet piston style of the B2.

I had the same setup, B2 with a SS1. When I started my DM classes I asked the instructor which octo would be good and they suggested a Apex octo. Seams to work.

I know there are quite a few Atomic B2 and T2 (Z2, M1, etc.) divers here.

I've been diving a B2 with an Atomic SS1 for years (which I'm *very* pleased with).
However, going forward, I'm adding a standard octo, primarily for travel.

I don't want to stint on the reg (and didn't on the SS1), however, I'm not necessarily looking for a $300 octo.

For those of you diving Atomic primaries, what are you (successfully and happily) using for your octo?

Why not go Atomic all around? Get a Z2 (or a used Z1) as the 2nd reg. Same service intervals, parts come from the same place ... once you know what works, go for it.

If not that, put a salvo on there. Cheap and it works well.

Edit: FWIW, I dove a Z2 / Z1 combo on my singles rig, when I went to doubles I went with a M1 / Z2 setup. But I've got a singles rig now where I've mixed & matched some Salvo / Atomic first & 2nd stages. YMMV. :wink:

I would stick with an Atomic B1, B2, Z1 or Z2. Remember, in an OOA situation chances are you will be "mugged" for the regulator that is already in your mouth, and will end up breathing off of your octo anyway. If you do decide to mix-and-match, make sure the octo will work with an IP of around 135 psi, and buy a brand that your Atomic dealer can service. Better to have all of the regulator service work done at one time and in one shop. Just my $.02 worth.

As a general rule I recommend against mixing regulator brands. Not as a functionality issue so much as a service point. Atomic primary with atomic octo, any atomic dealer can service the whole thing. Atomic primary with a dacor octo might need to go to two different dealers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom