Atomic regs/cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I imagine Atomic is trying to recoup some development costs by offering the new second on their most expensive first stage and will revert to pairing it to the lesser firsts as is their practice. I can't believe they can sell enough $2,200 regulators to make money on the new design.
If this is a center balanced concentric diaphragms regulator that's reliable and easy to work on, it will be a big deal.
Curious as to what is the benefit of this new 2nd stage design vs the current Atomic 2nd stage design?

I imagine Atomic is trying to recoup some development costs by offering the new second on their most expensive first stage and will revert to pairing it to the lesser firsts as is their practice. I can't believe they can sell enough $2,200 regulators to make money on the new design.
If this is a center balanced concentric diaphragms regulator that's reliable and easy to work on, it will be a big deal.
Tis my hope too.

Curious as to what is the benefit of this new 2nd stage design vs the current Atomic 2nd stage design?
Coaxial. Assuming it is, it's not barrel poppet design, same as the original D series. They breathe effortlessly, just like breathing on land. I found them to be spectacular.

I have to admit, price aside, I'm truly intrigued.
The D420 had me head over heels. The center balanced design is truly better than barrel regs, G260 included.
But implementation is challenging, especially with ANSTI being the governing metric.
While I love my D420, the plastic knife edge execution is suboptimal. The 1.3" cracking effort is frustrating until you get in the water. I understand why, but I still don't like that I can't roll on my back and photograph like I could with the D400.
And the implementation of service instruction is abominable for techs that aren't old enough to know the D-series.

So maybe Atomic will do better. Coaxial is quite the tease. But Atomic's history with their service manuals doesn't inspire confidence that they can teach techs who have never seen a center-balanced valve to repair it properly.

Yeah, I'll buy one for the team. We'll see what it turns out like.

Fortunately Rob, you have the brain power to figure it all out without a manual and also have the brain power to write a manual that is a) correct and b) one we can understand. Just hoping no specialty tools will be required.

I have to admit, price aside, I'm truly intrigued.

So maybe Atomic will do better. Coaxial is quite the tease. But Atomic's history with their service manuals doesn't inspire confidence that they can teach techs who have never seen a center-balanced valve to repair it properly.

Yeah, I'll buy one for the team.
Far better in your hands than most of ours . . .

Here's a better photo.

IMG_7771.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom