Which mask would you recommend to Michael Schumacher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd try a mask with either a regulator or snorkel in your mouth. Maybe something on your face is moving or shifting with you having a reg in your mouth that is breaking the seal that seems okay.

Also, are you by chance exhaling some through your nose when on scuba, and pushing the mask seal?

I'd try a mask with either a regulator or snorkel in your mouth. Maybe something on your face is moving or shifting with you having a reg in your mouth that is breaking the seal that seems okay.

Also, are you by chance exhaling some through your nose when on scuba, and pushing the mask seal?
I was thinking this too. I recommend people put a snorkel or reg in to fit a mask. It changes the shape/contours of your face.

I just run my little finger under my upper lip... granted those days it's not a good idea

Agree with @rhwestfall. Try it with a dorkel. Go to a different shop and try all the ones that other shop sells. I got lucky and it seems many masks fit me easily. My wife really struggled to find a good fitting mask and she probably tried on a good 40 of them across 4 different dive shops before finding one.

Don't suck so much.

When you try the "inhale to hold the mask on" trick, unless the mask is a total loser they will stick with a good hard suck. How little suck do you need for the mask to hold a seal? Really helps but dive shops don't sell that way, might lose a sale since none of them are good.

I have a small collection of masks that were good in the store, but were not so good once actually in the water.

I don’t use Facebook, so couldn’t follow the link, but I’m presuming from the previous posts that the mask fit test involves pulling a vacuum in some way, and I apologize if this is redundant. I have always just flipped the strap to the front of the mask, used my tongue to block off the roof of my mouth to prevent airflow through my nose, then given a prospective mask a gentle push against my face until a tiny amount of air is squeezed from the give in the mask’s skirt. If the mask stays in place indefinitely with zero inhalation effort, it fits and doesn’t leak. If it falls off, it leaks and I keep looking. I haven’t found an exception to this test in 30 years. Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Chris

I have a lot of issues with different masks and rarely find a mask that fits, so far, omer Aliend and a lot of cressi masks. Calibro is a good one, and big eyes is said to fit a lot of different faces.

And a safe bet is, Cressi Sirena, which is frequently used in dive centers

Hey guys!

So, picture Michael Schumacher for a second, that would be me. Albeit a little less backpfeifengesicht (Backpfeifengesicht - Wiktionary).

View attachment 603166

I'm desperately looking for a mask that fits my face. What I tried so far:
  • Aqualung / Technisub Micromask
  • Aqualung / Technisub Look
  • Aqualung / Technisub Look 2.0
  • Mares X-Vision Mid
All of them leak. Which gets annoying over time. Now I know, the masks are not the problem, my face is :(

So, I'm looking for people with similar problems, and product recommendations.

Thank you very much.
Tom

Do you always put the mask band in the same place on the back of your head? Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right spot for your mask band to settle on the back of your head.

I share the same Cro-magnon man forehead, deepset eyes, and big assed nose. It's hard being as pretty as us. The ONLY mask I have found that fits well is the Aqualung "rescue" mask from the 70's...maybe earlier. It does not even come close to hitting the bridge of my nose or forehead, is deep enough to get past the lines in the corners of my eyes, and is comfortable. Most of all, it doesn't leak. You put up with lots of hammerhead shark jokes, and the comments like, "My dad dove one of those....in 1975...." but the mask fits and has a great viewing area. It will take a couple of breaths to clear a full flood as well, but it fits.

Aqua Lung Wraparound Dive Mask – Lifesaving Systems Corp

The Tusa Freedom HD or something like that was close as well. The XS Scuba Cortez is usably close too. It has a plastic device in the middle of the strap for adjustment that works very well.

XS Scuba Cortez Mask

Tusa Freedom HD Mask

@MAKO Spearguns makes some freedive, ultralow volume masks that they guarantee to fit and at $30 or so you might try one. They are has good of quality as my $140 Scubapro mask...that didn't fit either. They didn't work for me, but I have tried on at least a hundred masks and have only found 3 that fit. The other 2 were at the Trident display at DEMA and weren't for sale that day. Both of those were Chinese knock-off three window masks.

Keep in mind a mask will find different when your reg is in your mouth so take a mouthpiece with you to try. I'm 50 ish years old and the lines by my eyes can cause leaks if I don't stretch the skin out when I first put the mask on.

I have NEVER found a two lens mask that fits. All are single front lens, or 3 lens masks.

There is always the nuclear option of going with a full faced mask. My Neptune does not leak at all...but FFM's have their disadvantages too.

On the bright side....leaky masks don't fog!!

Good luck with your quest, and tell "The Stig" I said hello.

Jay

Jay, thank you so much for your input. Will try the Tusa for sure. Don't know if the AquaLung is available in Europe as well, but will try to get hold of one of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom