Info About Diving Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KAPTAN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Greetings Everyone,

Is it better to do Free Diving with a Scuba Diving mask?
Or is it better to scuba dive with a free diving mask?
Which makes more sense with a single mask?

(There are those who recommend each option because as far as I can see. There are those who say to scuba dive with a free diving mask, and those who say to do freediving with a Scuba diving mask)

(And which mask would you recommend? Or do you have a different suggestion?)

-------------------
> Mares Juno
> Mares One Vision
> Beuchat Maxlux
> Scubapro Crystal Vu
> Technisub Aqualung Micromask
-------------------

Thanks,

A low volume mask has distinct advantages for freediving. I really don't know of any disadvantages of using a low volume freedive mask for scuba - as long as it does not restrict your vision.

You might also want to consider this mask. If it does not fit perfectly and not leak, then we accept returns. BTW it is quite similar to the last mask in your list, however the price is probably 60% higher than the MAKO Minimus mask

I made this more detailed post not too long ago. Perhaps it will be useful.

A low volume mask has distinct advantages for freediving. I really don't know of any disadvantages of using a low volume freedive mask for scuba - as long as it does not restrict your vision.

You might also want to consider this mask. If it does not fit perfectly and not leak, then we accept returns. BTW it is quite similar to the last mask in your list, however the price is probably 60% higher than the MAKO Minimus mask

I think that a single-glass mask provides more advantages to vision. Is this wrong?

The smaller the internal volume of the mask, the less our need for breathing will be?

And which mask would you recommend?
The one that fits your face properly.

In a low volume mask the difference in field of vision is negligible between a single and double lens. The lens is so close to your face that you don't even realize you have two lenses. I used to use a high volume single lens with side windows. I switched to a double lens low volume and not only do the double lenses not present a problem, but my peripheral vision actually seems to be better.
Don't get hung up on single lens vs double. Get a mask that fits and you won't have any problems.
Also don't get hung up on brands. One is not better than another if it doesn't fit.
Most masks are made in 2 or 3 factories in Taiwan. They make them for a number of brands and just change the skirt material a bit or put a different badge on it. Don't let a shop BS you and tell you that a 30 mask is not good. That $150 one is junk if it doesn't fit. The $30 one is priceless if it does.
The Oceanic Panoramic I started with was 79 bucks. The exact same mask from ScubaMax was 35 at the time. The only difference was the name stenciled on it.

In a low volume mask the difference in field of vision is negligible between a single and double lens. The lens is so close to your face that you don't even realize you have two lenses. I used to use a high volume single lens with side windows. I switched to a double lens low volume and not only do the double lenses not present a problem, but my peripheral vision actually seems to be better.
Don't get hung up on single lens vs double. Get a mask that fits and you won't have any problems.
Also don't get hung up on brands. One is not better than another if it doesn't fit.
Most masks are made in 2 or 3 factories in Taiwan. They make them for a number of brands and just change the skirt material a bit or put a different badge on it. Don't let a shop BS you and tell you that a 30 mask is not good. That $150 one is junk if it doesn't fit. The $30 one is priceless if it does.
The Oceanic Panoramic I started with was 79 bucks. The exact same mask from ScubaMax was 35 at the time. The only difference was the name stenciled on it.
Higher quality masks are made in Italy and possibly France.

The ones made in Taiwan can also be made to different specs and quality.

whichever one fits the best and lets you see well. best bet is to test some out in person or get something that will let you return it if it doesn't fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom