Which mask would you recommend to Michael Schumacher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lightxx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys!

So, picture Michael Schumacher for a second, that would be me. Albeit a little less backpfeifengesicht (Backpfeifengesicht - Wiktionary).

mi-michael-schumacher.jpg

I'm desperately looking for a mask that fits my face. What I tried so far:
  • Aqualung / Technisub Micromask
  • Aqualung / Technisub Look
  • Aqualung / Technisub Look 2.0
  • Mares X-Vision Mid
All of them leak. Which gets annoying over time. Now I know, the masks are not the problem, my face is :(

So, I'm looking for people with similar problems, and product recommendations.

Thank you very much.
Tom

Best to go to your LDS and try on as many masks as possible. It's not unusual for anybody to try a dozen masks or so before finding the one you like, so don't feel bad if you tried 4 so far, I am sure you can find a comfortable mask.

I did. I tried all they had. And in the dry, they work. That vacuum-with-your-nose test works every time. The immerse-in-bathtub test works every time.
The into-the-ocean-I-go test fails every time. Pretty frustrating. I even tried Vaseline as a sealant, no go.

In that case, it might be the position of the mask strap. quite often people place it too low. Play around with it, or ask somebody to take a look underwater and move it. usually I find it works best if you put the strap on the bump on the back of your head, as far away from the face as possible so to say.

I had similar problems, went through 3 different ones... I’m not saying it will work for you but it did for me:
The Omer Alien... it’s a free diving/hunting mask.. it’s dirty cheap and it’s the only one that fits me so far... hope it helps! But I doubt it, we all have different faces..

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Will try next time.

Hope it helps. Had an IT show me the problem with the typical mask test and how he made an obviously poorly fitted mask stay on his face.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but having a properly fitted mask that doesn't leak is soooooooo important. Good luck!

My standard and free-diving masks are all Cressi-Sub, from Italy, since they can accommodate what my girlfriend once described as my "Roman taxi driver nose." The problem that I had always had, was not so much an issue of sealing (though they do seal well) -- but pinching at the bridge of the nose, regardless of most brands . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom