Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Zeagle 911

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other - Please Specify

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akforsyth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been looking around at harness/backplate systems lately and would like to get everyones opinion on which they think is better. Please feel free to add any other brand/style you wish to the conversation. TIA.

Well everyone has their opinions. I’ll probably get bashed for this one. I think OMS is far superior to the others stated. The reasons are simple, the bands are not death traps like people have stated in the past they keep the Bag (Bags) closer to the body unlike the others and in a smaller space than the doubles occupy. So the chances of them getting snagged are extremely low. One of the other concern with them that I’ve heard is if you get your BC speared by a gun then the bands will force most of the air out. Getting speared by a gun is very unlikely. I’ve also read that the irregularity in the shape of the bag caused turbulence (DIR). This is ridiculous; the volume is so low compared to a normal bag without the bands that the turbulence is irrelevant. Another down side I’ve heard expressed is the entrapment of air in different locations of a BC with bands. This is just another statement to bash BC’s with bands. In no way do they cause a negative effect on your buoyancy, if anything they help by slowing the air movement down so shifts in the divers latitude are smoother.

I have a OMS single bladder set up and a double bladder set up. I’ve not seen the others you’ve stated with double bladders (and I’ve only dove the Halcyon and the OMS) so I don’t know how they get around the increased volume to streamline the diver. Most people will say there is never a reason to have a dual bladder; they say “ you should be weighted so you can swim to the surface if a buoyancy failure occurs. There is no way someone can weight them self in such a way to be able to do this in the waters and depths we dive in my area. The diver will always be negative; I would love to see someone swim from 400’ slinging 3 80’s to there first deco or shallow enough to deploy a lift bag. Some will argue that, DIR states one should use the lift of there dry suit in these cases, to me there is no way I’m going to rely on my dry suit for lift. Some say they would just use their lift bag, totally uncalled for. I’m just expressing points that show that a dual bladder is necessary in some applications. So there you have it, just my opinion. This is in no way to bash the DIR guys on this board. I use allot of DIR gear configs. and DIR has some excellent material and techniques.

Most backplates are going to be the same functionally.

Personally I like having the slots in the plate for use with Halcyon's built in single tank adapter wing... but if you are going to use an STA then you don't need the slots.

The big difference will be plate material... SS or Aluminum (don't go plastic.)

As for the harness... it is just 2" weightbelt webbing with some d-rings, weightbelt keepers and other small stuff. Nothing spectacular and nothing brand specific.

Since you didn't ask about wings I'll leave it at that.

I'm going to say Backplate and wings, and as a second choice, the TP2 (if you're going to be diving only singles)

I wouldn't buy halcyon personally, don't get me wrong, they make top-notch equipment, but soooo $$$$$

Right now I'm going with a G.U.T.S. Custom 6lb plate and DiveRite Clasic wings. I'd rather get excelent equipment that does the same job as a Halcyon set, and spend the money I saved on a twin-set of PST104's.

a couple of us are diving Gary's BP's, $130cdn vs $160us for a Halcyon plate. I really can't tell the difference in performance.

If you want to try out a TransPac 2 let me know, feel free to borrow mine.

Willer

Dive-Rite SS B/P with one piece continous harness,2 Highland Engineering D-rings and one or 2 bent in vise d-rings.SS buckle.2 Dive-Rite weight pouches on waist for strobe,spools,SMB.Bladders from 18# Halcyon to 65#knock-off of Dive-Rite .OMS STA when diving singles.

OMS IQ harness, OMS SS BP, OMS No-Sag Pockets, OMS Bungee single bladder wings, OMS Eanx computer. No issues, no problems.

Tried the Halcyon Pioneers - no diff. Too much money in my opinion.

Never heard of *anyone* dying from OMS Bungee Wings.

I use an OMS IQ PAK, wing and SS back plate, all the talk about bungeed wings of death and air trapping are just that, TALK. Halycon no doubt makes quality gear, but it's way over priced. Most of the equiment mentioned on the list is quality gear when used appropiately. IMO buy the best gear you can afford that matches the type of diving you intend to do.

I chose other. UP hit it on the nose.

A backplate is pretty much a backplate. There are so many other manufacturers than just those listed on your poll. Fred T makes a GREAT BP and it's reasonably priced. I've got his AL BP and a Halcyon BP and it's made very well. Not cheap.

Harness are just harnesses-although you want a continuous harness.

Bungee wings of death are just bungee wings of death. Oops, couldn't resist!:D

Detroit Diver,
Tell me, who this phantom cadaver is that died on OMS Bungeed Wings, please, enlighten me.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Detroit Diver,
Tell me, who this phantom cadaver is that died on OMS Bungeed Wings, please, enlighten me.

Hijacking of threads is illegal and immoral.

Do a search on bungied wings of death. Lots for you to read there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom