list of liveaboards offering 15L steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parlem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

As I diver in my late 50s whose muscle strength and SAC are not what they used to be (ehem!), the chance to carry less lead and having more gas available to me during a dive are becoming increasingly more important. The fitness difference with my 21 year old divemaster son is becoming more and more noticeable as I age and he grows stronger. When we dive locally here in Catalonia I'll pick a 15L steel and he uses a 12L steel, which is perfect for us.

That's why, when choosing a liveaboard operator in Egypt, these days I always factor in whether they offer an upgrade to 15L steel tanks (which typically means I need to carry less weight in my integrated system). I love their buoyancy properties and, as I said, I like having extra gas in case we hit a current or I'm feeling tired during the last dive on a busy day.

I wonder if others could add to the list of operators who offer such tanks (pre-booked against an additional charge, of course):

Emperor Divers
MY Red Sea Explorer (Extra Divers)
Seawolf Fleet
Omneia Fleet

and, I think, Sea Serpent Fleet?

Can you add any names to the list?

TIA!

Aslong as you pay for it every liveaboard will fix a 15L for you.

I am not sure that they have/use Steel tanks of any size in Egypt. Although am not an expert but it was made very clear to me by several of my Egyptian friends who work in the dive business in Egypt that Egypt is strictly an AL country. You may see 15L tanks advertised as available, these are AL tanks not Steel. I am not certain of my information but this is what I have found so far. Other people with more experience diving in Egypt will know more than I do.

I am not sure that they have/use Steel tanks of any size in Egypt. Although am not an expert but it was made very clear to me by several of my Egyptian friends who work in the dive business in Egypt that Egypt is strictly an AL country. You may see 15L tanks advertised as available, these are AL tanks not Steel. I am not certain of my information but this is what I have found so far. Other people with more experience diving in Egypt will know more than I do.
In my only Egyptian LoB so far, we had (at extra cost) real steel 15lt tanks.
The operator was Golden Dolphin.

The tanks were in quite bad condition (rust all over them etc), but everybody was happy using them.

When I was there a few years back, on the Aggressor boat that later sank, I had an LP 95 which got filled to about 3000 psi. No gas worries on that trip!

Some liveaboards do offer them as an extra. I've had a 15L steel tank on MY Red Sea Explorer and I believe land-based dive centres operated by Extra Divers offer them, too. It's rare, but you can find them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom