Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Zeagle 911

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other - Please Specify

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a fredt SS heavy plate and 2pc STA.Fred makes very high quality stuff.

For singles i use a 36lb halcyon pioneer wing.

I just recently started diving doubles and purchased a OMS 55lb single bladder non-bungeed wing.It is very similar to the halcyon explorer wing.My only complaint about the oms wing is the long corrugated hose.I have a shorter one on order.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Hello,

I am not going to get sucked into another one of these battles over the best systems, but there is a reason why the worlds best divers choose Halcyon.

Get the best, your life depends on it...

I must have missed the announcement of the worlds best divers last night. It was on the Oscars, wasn't it.

What your life mainly depends on underwater is your brain. To which I might add that there is a major disconnect around here between the recreational divers and the technical divers. Most of the recreational divers get driven off, especially by a few thoughtless members who have become obsessed with DIR. Simple questions like which computer should I use get answers like "none". That may be the DIR philosophy, but it is a useless answer to the overwhelming majority of recreational divers. (If the same question was asked by someone who is obviously contemplating technical diving then advocating the use of a bottom timer instead of a computer is a different story.) Not every DIR diver has this problem, but the few that do cause disproportionate damage.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Hello,

I am not going to get sucked into another one of these battles over the best systems, but there is a reason why the worlds best divers choose Halcyon.

Get the best, your life depends on it...

I like Halcyon as much as anyone, but let's face it-a BP is pretty much a bent piece of metal with holes in it. Nobody's going to die if they use a different brand metal BP.

leadweight once bubbled...

I must have missed the announcement of the worlds best divers last night. It was on the Oscars, wasn't it.

What your life mainly depends on underwater is your brain. To which I might add that there is a major disconnect around here between the recreational divers and the technical divers. Most of the recreational divers get driven off, especially by a few thoughtless members who have become obsessed with DIR. Simple questions like which computer should I use get answers like "none". That may be the DIR philosophy, but it is a useless answer to the overwhelming majority of recreational divers. (If the same question was asked by someone who is obviously contemplating technical diving then advocating the use of a bottom timer instead of a computer is a different story.) Not every DIR diver has this problem, but the few that do cause disproportionate damage.
We would all get along fine if people would just understand that you don't need a computer for solo ice diving...

I try to keep my ice confined to a glass of my favorite beverage. In that situation solo or with a buddy, I don't use a computer either.

Seriously, solo ice diving is outside the accepted dive industry definition of recreational diving on two counts, overhead and no buddy.

leadweight once bubbled...

Most of the recreational divers get driven off, especially by a few thoughtless members who have become obsessed with DIR.

Thats putting a little too much on it.When i first joined this board i had never heard of DIR.I posted my questions on equipment and listened to everyones opinions and chose what best worked for me.I had several arguments with the DIR guys here about my equipment and configuration at that time.I was never run off or treated badly.I was explained how and why they do what they do.After a while i noticed the DIR guys were on to something and there equipment and styles of diving made a lot of sense to me.

I was a regular sport diver for two years before i ever found this board.I have never considered my self a bad or dangerous diver but feel i am a more confident and aware diver since picking up on DIR.Im not saying DIR or their equipment configuration is for everyone.Im not even 100% dir and feel i wont be till i take DIR fundamentals.Even then ill probably continue to use my computer on single tank dives.Do what works for you as long as your safe and confident with what your using.

I also made my own. 1/4 Alum plate, Slotted and drilled, 12' of stock belt webbed the same as the old backbacks before BC's, old S.S. buckle and a set of DR's Wings. Bands made from 1/16" X 3"X 18" S.S. Two S.S. pieces of allthread, 2 wingnuts, 4 - 1/4-24 X 2" S.S. bolts and nuts. Works with double steel 60's and 72's. I have been useing this setup for about 23 years and have had it down to 220fsw "only way to fly!"

What's the job? That defines the tool.
Rick

I'm pretty happy with my Halcyon BP and Wing, but then again I haven't tried out any OMS or Dive Rite equipment. In my opinion a backplate is a backplate and a harness is a harness the only thing that changes is the wing.

Tekkie

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom