Which of the following is your preference for side mount, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because your instructor will have very specific opinions on the right equipment, setup, and whatnot. One of the things instructors, esp sm instructors hate is if you walk into a class with all your own stuff and its not what they like to use. It makes their job alot harder. Sm is much trickier to set up than bm doubles.
Then you do the course with a bad instructor for you. A good instructor knows how to teach you with other stuff they don't have and maybe let you use their stuff to feel difference.
What you describe here is a thing you see a lot in sidemount diving and also in rebreather diving: what is the best rebreather or sidemountset?
You get as answer the unit of brand the instructor uses.
But be honest, a lot of other brands or systems also do their work.

I own the REAL Xdeep Stealth 2.0, that is not the classic, that came later, but the real Stealth 2.0. And that works fine for me. Also the newer ones work ok, but I don't see any need to spend money for a new system or wing.

I also own a set from Divesystems (Razor clone), and from DTD/Dirzone. They also work well.

I dive ali80's (or sidekick with ali 80's as bo) and a drysuit in cold water, sometimes water covered with ice. So this will have some negative opinions from some people, but they don't look if the diver can use it safe. They directly have an opinion, without knowing details. And yes, it works well for me and a lot of people around me. No need to move on to steel tanks (I use ali80's as it are also bo's or stages, just move the rigging a little bit, because of cave diving I only own ali80's and no 7 liters or ali40's). All cylinders must be in test, and that is expensive. I don't want to have more cylinders in my house, I own more than enough.

So ask 100 divers and you get 100 opinions.

Then about the always 'do a course advice'. What is wrong with trying yourself? Yes, I am a sidemount instructor, but I am a self teached sidemount diver and later did the instructor course.
Not every diver will be able to become a sidemount diver without course, but there are enough divers who can. I see divecourses in usefull and required as open water, cave, trimix, etc.
Can be usefull like drysuit, photography, sidemount, but also multiple stage cave diver if you are already a trimix diver, etc. If you are unsure, please do a course in the can be usefull category.
And just for fun or interest: biology, sea slug, etc.
You can do trimix or cave courses in sidemount without having done a course, like you can in drysuit without having a drysuitcert. Also there are a lot of instructors who can teach a sidemount course, but never dive sidemount outside a course. So if you want to do a course, look at an instructor who dives sidemount himself in wrecks or caves. Not that person that you only see with a single tank backmount bcd.

Yes, it will take more time if you teach it yourself, and probably you need a camera and/or a buddy to evaluate you, but this can be part of the fun. And remember, gas is gas, so this is not different from backmount. If you don't have trim and bouyancy, you will not have them when moving from backmount to sidemount. And diving with sidemountequipment (that is not directly sidemount diving) is not directly unsafe.
But to feel the real sidemount diving, it must be sidemount diving and not diving with sidemount equipment as you also see quite a lot of times. So if you are self teached/autodidact or teached by a buddy, or an instructor, check if you really dive the way that can be called sidemount diving.

And also check your sidemount diving if you bought your own equipment after doing a course and using rental equipment. Because then it was nice and good during the course, but you don't have the help anymore after the course and setting it up right can take a lot of time. A good instructor can advice you. But you are the person who have to do the adjustments now.

Do you have personal experience with this? Cause I do, and Edd didn't "have issues." His response was to tell me what he liked and what he didn't. He then emphasized, "finding what works for you." If I recall correctly there was a lot of the , "why behind the how" or something to that effect. This was when they were putting the final touches on the K2; funny thing happened shortly thereafter, they released the production version of the K2 and I got one because I found Edd's arguments compelling.

My path into SM was not the preferred one. I was solicited to make a bunch of SM plates and harnesses because I am a machinist. If I am making something for someone else , of course I'll make one for myself too. I literally had no idea what I was doing so I had to learn what I could from the more experienced divers around me who were asking for fab work. I learned from them, I learned from Edd, and I learned over time from personal experience. The OP was asking questions about his known-unknowns, there's no harm in learning as much as possible in advance by asking questions.

I am in total agreement on talking to your instructor, but any instructor (or internet expert) worth a crap isn't going to laugh you out the door, they will share their knowledge in a constructive manner just like Edd did with me and as others have done here for the OP.
I took sm with Edd 12 years ago. Up until a few years ago he was stil a proponent of putting weights on al80s.
I'm not taking away from Edd's class at all, but he is not the guy I'd go to if all my diving was going to be in mexico with al80s.
Idk how much you've worked with Edd, but he's got alot of strong opinions on things. In class he'll give you his "whys" and preferences and that you need to find the system that works for the diving you want to do, but he's got some definite strong opinions you'll start to learn about if you spend enough time with him. For a very long time he would give some strong thoughts on how things are done in other places like Mexico and has had some choice words about some of the well known mexican instructors. I think over the years he's become a little more open minded but he's still got his thoughts on things like the razor because it doesn't fit the style of sm diving he prefers. While I was taking my sm class with him he was getting texts about a couple of well known instructors having their loops unattach from their towers on their sidweinders in Mexico. He went on a pretty interesting diatribe about the mexican instructors that was very telling of what he really thought about them, how they dive, and how they teach.

Then you do the course with a bad instructor for you. A good instructor knows how to teach you with other stuff they don't have and maybe let you use their stuff to feel difference.
I think you may be missing my point a little because I was generalizing. I do agree with your statement. A good instructor will work with what the student comes with and the student will be successful. But it can also be a very huge pia for the instructor. I would much rather speak to the person that I'm paying to train me about what their preferences are prior to class rather than talking to people on the internet and showing up with gear that doesn't really fit with the instructors philosophies. It will make the course a little more difficult for all involved.
An SMS100 is not the ideal piece of equipment for al80s. So if someone only plans to cave dive sm in mexico with al80s and they show up for their sm class in mexico with an sms100 because that was what was recommended by people here, the instructor is going to have to alter that unit significantly to allow ease of use with 80s. Its just wasting that instructors time that could be better suited elsewhere.

I took sm with Edd 12 years ago. Up until a few years ago he was stil a proponent of putting weights on al80s.
I'm not taking away from Edd's class at all, but he is not the guy I'd go to if all my diving was going to be in mexico with al80s.
Idk how much you've worked with Edd, but he's got alot of strong opinions on things. In class he'll give you his "whys" and preferences and that you need to find the system that works for the diving you want to do, but he's got some definite strong opinions you'll start to learn about if you spend enough time with him. For a very long time he would give some strong thoughts on how things are done in other places like Mexico and has had some choice words about some of the well known mexican instructors. I think over the years he's become a little more open minded but he's still got his thoughts on things like the razor because it doesn't fit the style of sm diving he prefers. While I was taking my sm class with him he was getting texts about a couple of well known instructors having their loops unattach from their towers on their sidweinders in Mexico. He went on a pretty interesting diatribe about the mexican instructors that was very telling of what he really thought about them, how they dive, and how they teach.
Instructors having strong opinions and choice words about how things are done outside their region, ways they dont even dive at all, and under completely different conditions?!? Who would have thoughts that! :rolleyes:

Reactions: L13
I'm currently diving with a buddy who is self teaching sidemount with a few nudges from me. She's very experienced in backmount. The only part she's struggling with is getting into the gear and clipping tanks. Once in the water it's no problem.

Currently in a Classic but the high shoulder strap attachment on the spine isn't working. Due to shoulder mobility issues (why she isn't in backmount anymore) the harness just doesn't fit well.
The tweak we're going to try is a pair of these:
To move the shoulder straps attachment onto the belt by the drop Ds.

What I'm trying to say is that SM requires some creative adjustments unless you fit a fairly typical body type. That's something not everyone can figure out for themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom