Which of the following is your preference for side mount, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is exactly what I was searching for, thank you!
Was there anything you removed that you found later that you wish you would have left on it?

I am in the process of earning my spot in the technical world, currently in PSD, and am heavily diving off into penetration and overhead environments.
I also like the idea of diving it at recreational limits as I feel it is more streamlined, better weight distribution, and easier to manage valves, gas, and so on.

I completely agree. When I first read this option, I thought it was awesome, but then reflected on the fact that I have not changed the setting up of my bp/w in pretty much forever...

This is almost impossible in my area, the tech world is not as large as it used to be unless I drive over to Florida. I wish I could go in a lds and be able to play with a few different ones, especially the tec.

I do dive both wet and dry, depends on temps and planned times.
I understand that asking my instructor is a viable option, and I assure you, I ask and rely heavily on his opinion, HOWEVER, I also realize he is only one of many people that dive sidemount, and I would rather get a consensus of opinions than to immediately follow just one person's opinion.
I tell my students all the time when they ask my opinion on gear, do not dive it just because I like it. I am particular about my wants and fit, and they may not like what I like. That they would be much better educated by asking many people of their opinions so that they get a better pool of options to base their decisions on instead of just mine. Do it in a democracy type method instead of a dictatorship style.

I appreciate the answers thus far, some great and thoughtful responses!
Marianna, FL is a three hour drive and will have most of the wings you're asking about in stock. I'd also guess that if you bought your final wing there, they'd be likely to make free the rental use. Cave Adventurers dives and promote a specific style of sidemount (steel bottles, valve orfices towards floor when swimming horizontally) but is likely the densest amount of SM diving near you.

I think the desire for a 40+lb wing, let alone a redundant one, is a bit silly. Optimal XDeep set up for most people is a Tec harness with a Rec wing. If you're in a wetsuit, sidemount Ali 80s. If you're in a drysuit, sidemount LP85/HP100/AL80. I think the K2 wins for wing shape when there is more gas in the wing, but it has lots of unnecessary things.

Marianna, FL is a three hour drive and will have most of the wings you're asking about in stock. I'd also guess that if you bought your final wing there, they'd be likely to make free the rental use. Cave Adventurers dives and promote a specific style of sidemount (steel bottles, valve orfices towards floor when swimming horizontally) but is likely the densest amount of SM diving near you.

I think the desire for a 40+lb wing, let alone a redundant one, is a bit silly. Optimal XDeep set up for most people is a Tec harness with a Rec wing. If you're in a wetsuit, sidemount Ali 80s. If you're in a drysuit, sidemount LP85/HP100/AL80. I think the K2 wins for wing shape when there is more gas in the wing, but it has lots of unnecessary things.
Thank you.
I am curious why it seems like I'm asking a lot when I put 40 lbs of lift? In public safety diving to meet the standards is where I come up with thus number. Guess it has been drilled into my mind through the years.
What is a realistic lift to look for?

I have both the K2 and Stealth RB.

For open circuit warm water diving I prefer the xDeep, it's less bulk, dries quicker and a little more comfortable and I have a redundant bladder.
For Closed Circuit (sidewinder) or dry suit diving I like the K2. I have a hard time reaching the butt dump on the xDeep (more so in a dry suit) so I have it relocated, but the canister covers it when i have it on the xDeep.

I'm sure everyone else in this thread will disagree w/ me, that's the nature of sidemount divers, everyone finds what they like, so must you.

Nothing that I’ve removed from any of my rigs has ever gone back on.

I did forget two minor things about the K2 I don’t like. The hip dump can be annoying to find and the bottom of the wing benefits from having a tighter bungee to hold it down. Neither are a big deal.

It sounds to me like you are on the right track by doing your homework ahead of time. Go visit Edd and play with the various harnesses you are considering. I do suggest you throw the nomad ray into your consideration. The ray is sleek and (shockingly ) lightweight, yet still has adequate lift while maintaining a good shape. I dive mine with pst hp100s and an al80 and it does fine.

Have you dived it with AL80 OC?

No, but I absolutely would. Al80s for me means I’ve travelled somewhere, the ray is as light as my Apeks and holds a much better shape.

I've been diving the K2 for a while and the comments about coming to Cave Adventurers to try stuff are well taken. They have all the stuff you want to try, and Edd is really good at making things work better. Talk to him about instruction, remember that it's in the central time zone so it's an hour earlier than EST (don't call at the crack of dawn!)

I am going to take a class, I am asking opinions on equipment.
You did not give a single one on equipment.
I thought I stated clearly that I am neither experienced or knowledgeable in the subject matter...
So, do you have an honest opinion on the 2 pieces of equipment I asked about?
Because your instructor will have very specific opinions on the right equipment, setup, and whatnot. One of the things instructors, esp sm instructors hate is if you walk into a class with all your own stuff and its not what they like to use. It makes their job alot harder. Sm is much trickier to set up than bm doubles.

So I wasn't being a di-k, I was giving you the proper answer. I am a huge fan of the stealth. I had the original and the tech setup. I've dove the K2, the armadillo, diamond, sms100 and 75 with and without Edd mods, Razor, multiple dive rite setups, and a few others. I like the Stealth the most. The K2 is good as well, just too much "extra" crap on it.

But that answer will literally do you no good if your instructor is a Razor instructor and you show up with an Armadillo. That is my point. Seek good instruction from a technical instructor who dives sm regularly, not an OW sm course, not some guy that dives bm 98% of the time. Go into the class with what he recommends. You will get 55 answers that contradict themselves here and make your instructors job worse.

Also, don't even consider dual inflate. A student who wants dual inflation is a red flag to alot of instructors and an instructor that pushes dual inflate should be avoided (except in very rare circumstances).

You are renting the gear for your first class, right? A good instructor should have a variety of gear on hand and let you try it. And offer helpful suggestions as to what you might want to try and how to set it up based on your objectives and what he sees in the water.
Renting sm gear is a horrible, horrible idea. You go to class with a unit already half set up, you get shown how to set it up, you'll likely not remember 65% of it, then you have to go home to set up your own unit. The best part of a class is learning how to set up YOUR sm system for the first time so you can go out and dive and eventually if you want a different bc, you have the knowledge from experience and class to set it up.
DO NOT RENT SM GEAR FOR CLASS. Trying stuff is different. But try stuff, buy and get it set up properly in class so you're not dicking with it at home.

As I'm going through the responses I was about to say, he's in Vancleave, going to Edd would be my move
Bring your cc and just let Edd do his thing. While keeping in mind there are many other ways to do sm other than Edd's way, so go into it knowing you will get a very very strong first introduction into sidemount, and along the way you'll learn some of the things Edd does you eventually will either disagree with or move away from. But its hard to find a much better class. Draker is likely up there too, but I haven't seen his class in person in a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom