Heating Systems with external battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have been using a Santi vest for about 10 years. (I got one that just wont die... even after a lot of trips in the washing machine). It is paired with a self made EO batterypack made from an old Salvo cannister.
The vest does have insulating properties even when off.

At the moment I am using a Trojan heated vest. With its 70w heating it is considerably warmer than Santis 55w. (It also needs more power) Actually to the extent where it needs to be shut off not to be uncomfortable. Very happy with quality of both of them. (My cannister only has on/off. Not levels.)
Have a look at both Santi and Trojan.

Keep in mind that using a heated vest in the descending/working/bottom phase of a dive will increase ongassing compared to NOT using it. While I agree with the notion that "staying warm is easier than warming up", in this case, the general consensus is that you turn the vest on at the earliest if you start to feel chill, but predominantly when you start your ascent and by that optimise less ongassing in the early phase of the dive, and increase offgassing in the ascent/decompression phase.
Doing a dive where you need to complete decompression with a vest on from the start, and have the vest fail may be an added risk factor for less effective decompression due to peripheral vasoconstriction.

Keep in mind that using a heated vest in the descending/working/bottom phase of a dive will increase ongassing compared to NOT using it. While I agree with the notion that "staying warm is easier than warming up", in this case, the general consensus is that you turn the vest on at the earliest if you start to feel chill, but predominantly when you start your ascent and by that optimise less ongassing in the early phase of the dive, and increase offgassing in the ascent/decompression phase.
Doing a dive where you need to complete decompression with a vest on from the start, and have the vest fail may be an added risk factor for less effective decompression due to peripheral vasoconstriction.
I am aware of that. And I also don't like the idea of planning deco on cold water with a heated vest, because if it breaks and I didn't calculate the exposure well (1) I'll start freezing and may need to go out of the water but (2) I would actually need more time in the water to off-gas with limited perfusion... which is basically what you explained. This is why I mentioned before that for deco diving I am not planning anything right now; first, I want to get comfortable and understand the limits of this tool, and then I may move to deco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom