Which brand of steel cylinder / tank should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Thomas Ivey
There are the only tank to be hot dipped galvanized.

Thomas,

Not so sure about that. Heiser and Faber both advertise their tanks as hot dip galvanised.

Under the UK specs, ONLY galvanised tanks are allowed, and loss of galvanising is a tank failure!

JonT

Originally posted by devjr
Who makes the 3500 psi tanks which look similar to the PST? There are very slight differences in the curvature of the neck and shoulder but otherwise look identical. They are stamped with the same "E9791" use permit. They are hot dipped galvo. Is IA/81 the mfgr?

If it is stamped with DOT E-9791 it must be a PST product. In 1986 we sold exclusively to Sherwood and then later to other companies, then from 1996 to the end of 1999 to Aqualung/S Divers.

This is another 3500 psi that comes from Japan. It is not hot dipped galvanized, is heavier, and bigger in diameter. The tank is made out of tubing, which we consider a no for scuba tanks. The bottoms are real thick, and sometimes they will leak out of the bottom.

Manufactures can use there name (PST) or will use a M# (MXXXX) only two formats allowed. The IA/81 is the third party DOT inspector that checks our product.

ti

Thanks for the info guys!
Anyone know what method is used on the OMS cylinders?

-kate

Lets look at your reasons why to have a pony…….

Because the military might use one. Well they also carry weapons and ammunition. Military divers also use 100% oxygen in rebreathers to 30 feet and in some cases deeper. Using your “logic” we should take guns with us when diving just in case and PPO2’s of 2.0 are okay as well. Military diving practices do not translate into recreational or technical practices.

I want to see the accident analysis that supports claim that some diving fatalities would have been prevented by having a pony. This is a specious argument at best. I would suggest that the root cause of the “accident” is a result of poor planning, inexperience and solo diving.

You suggest that being able to monitor, track and evaluate air consumption is arrogance. Hardly, it is a primary skill that all divers should be able to do. In my diving it is a matter of fact. Also, you deliberately took a small part of the full answer to a ludicrous situation. In it I mentioned that even if the failure of a primary piece of equipment did go unnoticed my redundancy was my buddy. I would also have planned the dive to address failure scenarios and would have proper responses covered to address problems. In no case would the added convolution of a pony be needed.

Nothing in your post provides a logical choice to support the use of a pony. The only thing that you got right was the fact that it makes some people feel better. In fact that is one of my main points, a pony is perceived as a panacea, when in fact the best solution is to get the proper gear and training and do the upfront work (e.g. dive planning).

Brad

atomix.. You sure know how to twist and obscure what someone says, I don't see KN say 1/2 of what you said he has.

What about my response earler..

Atomox,
I have been monitoring this thread as well and have to respectfully disagree with your comments and further your mentality in being anti-pony bottle.

I'm an instructor for several different agencies both recreational and technical in origin, and can personally account for the benefits and near misses avoided by a completely redundant air supply. I have personally witnessed o-rings AND valves failing on cylinders at depth. Plenty of competant professional divers have lost their lives due to an unforseable accident taking place during a dive.

I use a 30cuft pony (you don't necessarily need a 30) with a high quality regulator and gauge on it. Certain dives require a redundant airsource, including many 'recreational' in origin dives.

I would urge you and any others on these boards to not to cloud what's truely important in these threads... the educational value that others sponge from all of this. There is no point in arguing. State your opinion and... if you feel strongly about it, your reasoning and certification/qualification/experience level, and the rest of us will evaluate and weigh your words accordingly.

I agree with KN.

But I will say that SCUBA students are rather trusting and a bit gullible when it comes to their instructors. 90% of divers do not "need" any more appendages, especially something as huge as a 30 cf tank.

I often think that the makers of ponies and spare air just like to tell a few scare stories and the newbies, eyes wide as saucers, will be convinced that their gear could fail and they will drown unless they have a pony.

Fact is, SCUBA gear, especially tanks and regulators are extremely reliable, although rental tanks may occasionally have O ring problems.

Former instructor.

I wish I had seen this one as it was going on!

I only skimmed over the entire discussion, but agree with Green Manelishi and a few others. An H-valve will suffice for most recreational dives. O-ring and burst disk failures underwater are very rare -- especially with well maintained gear.

Proper dive planning (rule of thirds for example), good gear (maintenance), and diving with a buddy will take care of most anything for recreational dives. If nothing else, blow and go - right?

You have to ask yourself if carrying a pony introduces more problems than you're trying to solve. There are two scenarios I can see where you would NEED a pony for a recreational dive: total gas loss from an O-ring/disk (not likely), or a bad pressure guage that is stuck (which is easily detected). Maybe even a free flow, but most free flows are trickles that get worse, but at any rate you can easily breath from it to surface.

Anyway, by introducing a pony, divers (especially newer divers) can often find themselves overly task loaded and unprepared.

A good buddy should be right there as well.

What's with all the arguing anyway?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom