Which brand of steel cylinder / tank should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Aegir
Yup im a simpleton with a PhD in Molecular biology.

Copied from the biography section available by clicking on the 'who' for aegir...

Interests: Diving, golf , martial arts,
Cert Level: AOW PADI

What is a PhD in Mol Bio doing working as a joiner? I don't think I know a single person educated to that level that has quit and started doing manual work! (quit science for a vast number of other careers -yes - eg management, scientific writing etc)

Some people like ponies, others loath them. They are a fact of life, and won't easily go away.

From my personal point of view, they are another tank in the rack from which to choose the equipment that is correct for the dive being done. They are often not necessary at all. However, they are (IMO) significantly more use than a 'spare air', but a poor mans version of doubles.

As for aegir's original question - the most common pony, and probably the best in the UK, if you are diving dry is the FABER 3 Ltr 232 Bar tank. about 4Lbs negative full, and 2 or so if empty.

Jon T

Originally posted by Frog
Has anyone on the board heard of Tor'Tec scuba tanks before. Basically i just want to know if they are any good. I think they are only a european/UK brand which dont export to the US. Although i may be wrong. Cheers

PS while im on the subject- does anyone know waht the "DOT 3AA / TC3AAM" standard is? I was going to go for a FAber but i want one that is negatively buoyant, this list from faber just confuses me because i dont know what standards are accebtable in the UK.
http://www.divefaber.com/list/print/scuba_lpr_full.asp?da=14.5&a=22

DOT 3AA is a cylinder spec, TC3AAM is the same spec for Canada. Any scuba cylinder to be used in Canada must have a "TC" approval.

Originally posted by Aegir
Hi there :)

Shortly i will be getting my own 15 litre steel tank and a 3 litre Pony bottle. Could the people of the board give me some ideas as to what brands are the best and what there buoancy characteristics are also. Are there any special conciderations as to a pony bottle (steel or Al)?

For example, i have heard that faber and Tor-Tec have very different buoancy charateristics.

PST is one of the oldest names in scuba and they have been making scuba cylinder since 1954 and are made in the USA. There are the only tank to be hot dipped galvanized.

ti
http://www.pstscuba.com

Originally posted by Frog
Has anyone on the board heard of Tor'Tec scuba tanks before. Basically i just want to know if they are any good. I think they are only a european/UK brand which dont export to the US. Although i may be wrong. Cheers

PS while im on the subject- does anyone know waht the "DOT 3AA / TC3AAM" standard is? I was going to go for a FAber but i want one that is negatively buoyant, this list from faber just confuses me because i dont know what standards are accebtable in the UK.
http://www.divefaber.com/list/print/scuba_lpr_full.asp?da=14.5&a=22

They are not a cylinder manufacture, must be a distibutor.

ti

Originally posted by Atomox
Because I am aware of my air consumption rate and I am aware of my bottom time I will know if the gauge is stuck long before I would get to that point. As soon as I am aware that I have broken gear I quit, period. Also because of proper planning I would have headed back to the boat or shore before I got to the 1000 psi point and then the OOA situation. In addition because this is single tank diving I would not have a deco obligation and could head to the surface if needed BUT if this extremely rare event did occur I would breath off of my buddy.

Any recreational dive (single tank) is the type that you can get out of without a pony. If you need redunancy get a H-valve.
Pony tanks are idiocy.

Brad

Suppose you get caught in a troller net 100ft down.. and you cannot cut your self free.. detach pony bottle and start heading up.. leave your other stuff behind..

Originally posted by Mario S Caner
Rainreg,
I was just talking to Don via ICQ and we got into a discussion about Steel Cylinders. It turns out that many of his friends prefer Pressed Steel's cylinders while many of mine prefer OMS's cylinders. What does the NAVY say about steel cylinders, if not what are your personal views on the subject?

Thanks,
Mario :D

Most Navy divers that are using scuba tanks prefer steel tanks for the durablity factor and bouyance feature. Seals normally do not use steel because they are magnetic.

ti

Originally posted by Warhammer
Glad you asked that question...

I'm pondering the 2 myself.

Just what exactly is Chrome Moly?

Painted?

Chromium Molybdenum 4130 is used by most steel tank manufactures. It has been around for a very long time and is very good material for pressure vessels.

ti

Back
Top Bottom