Where to mount knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that I will say is that you should not mount your knife to your leg cause you could loose your leg.

:rofl3:
I would not go as far as to say that you would loose you leg. Entanglement hazard...maybe.

Mount it [-]to your BCD or[/-] on a waist belt.

+1

I use a cheap blunted paring knife in a cheap homemade sheath on my waistbelt.

And I wouldn't mount it anywhere that I can't see what I'm doing with the blade. Once, and only once a long time ago, I tried using my knife as a tank-banger to attract someone's attention and ended up cutting something I didn't want to cut while moving it around behind me. Never again.

I used to do that too. My buddy was directly over me (I should have looked up) and I almost got him.

I got my first knife today, a Wenoka (little) Squeeze that I've mounted to the BC inflator hose with two zip ties (though I haven't tried it in-water yet).

p1041119042-4.jpg

p987859786-4.jpg

In backmount, my Trilobite lives in the center of my waist belt, in sidemount, it's on my left shoulder strap above the D-ring. My Spyderco folding knife lives either in my right side leg pocket on my dry suit, or in my man purse when I'm in the Razor harness.

I, too, outgrew the "big-ass knife" phase. Trilobite cutter on bottom-timer strap, left wrist. EMT shears in sheath on right waist when not using can light.

Chisel-tip small squeeze knife on crotch strap for those cover your n**s moments. It is there more as a reminder to keep thinking and fighting than anything else...

View attachment 129646

I use a Spyderco Atlantic Salt with the serrated blade it's clipped to my cummerbund with a lanyard as a backup attached to a d ring on my BCD.
I'm of the firm opinion that any cutting tool should be accessible by either hand without contorting.

I mount my shears on my waist belt to the left. The only problem is, every time I'm removing my rig, shears slide off my belt. How do you guys secure knife/shears sheath to BP/W harness so they are not sliding off?

Last edited:
1) Halcyon Ti knife lives in nylon sheath, central on my waist strap.

2) Eezy-Cut lives on my left wrist.

3) Shears live in my thigh pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom