Where do you usually mount your knife/Tool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heartily agree with having multiple cutting tools reachable in case of entanglement issues (plus best tool for one task may be a terrible tool for a different task...).
In addition to pretty standard locations for a knife already mentioned by others, I really like having a Titanium M-Cut on the right side of my mask (and buckle whistle on left, with or without snorkel attached to back of strap depending on the dive, may feel too cluttered for some but I love it and for me it also gives additional overlap and consistency of critical core items between freediving/spearfishing/open circuit/rebreather in conditions ranging from clear warm water to low vis cold water).

Attachments

• 20230812_200420.JPG
    20230812_200420.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 49
I heartily agree with having multiple cutting tools reachable in case of entanglement issues (plus best tool for one task may be a terrible tool for a different task...).
In addition to pretty standard locations for a knife already mentioned by others, I really like having a Titanium M-Cut on the right side of my mask (and buckle whistle on left, with or without snorkel attached to back of strap depending on the dive, may feel too cluttered for some but I love it and for me it also gives additional overlap and consistency of critical core items between freediving/spearfishing/open circuit/rebreather in conditions ranging from clear warm water to low vis cold water).
I couldn't imagine trying to re-stow it on to your mask strap after use. Have you actually tried deploying and stowing it in an efficient manner?

I hate to be too critical, but I think a lot of people put stuff on their BC and elsewhere, but never test it. You know why a thigh or calf is the most logical spot for a knife? Because you can actually see the sheath when re-stowing it. I much prefer the thigh as it's easier to reach.

I used to keep a smaller knife on my BC and it was always a pain stowing it because it was hard to see. Which again is why I pointed out a sharp tip knife on the BC increases the risk you'll cut yourself or gear.

KISS applies here.

.... trying to re-stow it on to your mask strap after use......
Agree,,,, One handed re-stow/re-set on most anything in diving is best.

folding knife in right pocket
At all times when not diving, I do this. Currently a CRKT homefront.

For my dive gear though I wanted one I could just forget about that would be fine as long as I rinse my gear.

I couldn't imagine trying to re-stow it on to your mask strap after use. Have you actually tried deploying and stowing it in an efficient manner?

I hate to be too critical, but I think a lot of people put stuff on their BC and elsewhere, but never test it. You know why a thigh or calf is the most logical spot for a knife? Because you can actually see the sheath when re-stowing it. I much prefer the thigh as it's easier to reach.

I used to keep a smaller knife on my BC and it was always a pain stowing it because it was hard to see. Which again is why I pointed out a sharp tip knife on the BC increases the risk you'll cut yourself or gear.

KISS applies here.
I fully appreciate your constructive questions.
Yes, I have practiced deploying and putting it back a good amount.
Being a safety cutter as opposed to sharp knife I can safely put it back without removing my mask (all things considered surprisingly easy with a little practice although it unfortunately always requires two hands to put it back, and if diving with bulky gloves putting it back in same place would require swapping to backup mask ie unless practicing skills if needed while diving in a drysuit simpler to just clip it onto me til the conclusion of the dive...).
Also worth noting it is never my only cutting tool while diving (being superior to a knife in some ways and inferior to a knife in others...) but I really like instinctively knowing it's there in an emergency whether casually snorkeling in just board shorts or diving low-vis cold water in a drysuit...

I figure that cutting tool mounting is a personal choice and folks should just do what's best for them. I mount my primary knife inverted and up high on my right shoulder BC strap . (Zeagle Ranger). Trilobite in same place on my left strap. EMT shears in my right drysuit thigh pocket along with signal mirror and small back-up light. Left drysuit thigh pocket is for spare mask and spare fin strap assembly. PS.... I keep a light coating of WD on my shears and have them vacuum sealed to eliminate any corrosion issues.

UBHiFxn.jpg

Dvf0IcW.jpg

I'm probably overloaded with cutting tools.

I have a Trilobite on my left waist strap, and one on my right shoulder strap.
I have a serrated Spyderco folding knife on my right D-ring.
And a set of trauma shears on my inflator.

I have tried a Trilobite on my computer strap, and it works fine I guess, but I prefer to have everything in a place where I can easily reach it with either hand. Having a Trilobite on the computer strap means I can never reach it with the hand it's strapped to.

I keep a trilobite strapped to my power inflator on my BC.

In doubles, trauma shears and linecutter on my right waist strap next to the light canister; ideally another linecutter somewhere else as well in case I can't reach those.

I would like to know the actual incidents where someone actually cut something, not for fun, but to rescue. I mean I am sure it happens on daily base around the world, but is the chance high or low during ocean open-water dives?
I've never had to cut anything for real, but came real close when I got myself and my buddy tangled in line while running a reel into Manatee. We ultimately got it straightened out, but I was ready to grab my linecutter if things deteriorated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom