Where do you usually mount your knife/Tool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep a rescue cutter type tool on left shoulder strap, I replace the blade before each trip. I wear a titanium Tekna knife (where allowed) on my left waist strap. As to trauma shears, I have bought several over the years and have low confidence in them so stopped carrying them. I do keep one in my bag should I want it for a dive. The reason for low confidence, while I have not needed them underwater, on the boat or during a trip to cut anything, the scissors have fallen apart, even new ones after being exposed to saltwater, the pivot pin fails. If I do find a pair actually able to stand up to use in a salt environment I might return to carrying a pair. When I did carry shears, they went on my left waist harness in place of the Tekna knife.

I would like to know the actual incidents where someone actually cut something, not for fun, but to rescue. I mean I am sure it happens on daily base around the world, but is the chance high or low during ocean open-water dives?

My thinking here is straightforward. I wanted to buy the least amount of knife possible to handle anything I would need for years doing the sort of diving I am content to keep doing. That's warm water no-stop recreational. Even this is overkill considering I rigged my wife's to be the same. If I need something cut, she will do the cutting and visa-versa. I have only used it to remove fishing line from the reef and other stuff like that.

It's a Spyderco Atlantic Salt and requires very little maintenance. It can be operated entirely one-handed and I opted not to have them tethered because I do what I want. So I just left a piece of the left over tube webbing that came with my diverite basic harness and use it to stow the slack on the waist strap. I found that the knife fits in there nice and snug.
20231124_133145.jpg
20231124_133152.jpg
20231124_133231.jpg

I would like to know the actual incidents where someone actually cut something, not for fun, but to rescue. I mean I am sure it happens on daily base around the world, but is the chance high or low during ocean open-water dives?

I use a dive cutting tool, tied on my bungee of the dive computer. I was used to keep a knife in the right pocket of the drysuit or attached to the belt of the bcd. I realized that it was not easy to take the knife out from both the positions, especially if you have stages and bulky dry gloves.
Attached to the dive computer on the right wrist is the most accessible position to me.

Looks like a 4 inch blade which puts it in the BFK category. I wear my BFK on my thigh. I'd buy *BFK thigh/calf straps and put it there. Pretty standard - most logical spot.

Add a loop of bungee cord from the end of the knife tang over the bottom of the sheath to act as a secondary hold so you don't lose it if it's accidentally not clipped or locked in after use. Ask me how I know.

Sharp point knives on BCs can be troublesome as there's a risk of cutting yourself or gear when re-stowing it. Not to mention, for a BFK, you're finding there's just really not a good spot for it on the BC, especially if you right should mount a flash light. Which is kind of the most logical spot for a flash light.

* Added bonus, you'll look like a seasoned diver. 😏

I wear my knife inverted on the left shouoder strap of both my BCD and my PFD. For me it is the most logical and ergonomic spot to reach with my right (Dominant) hand. I also have trauma shears on my right shoulder strap and on my pony bottle.

Back
Top Bottom