Where to mount knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My knife mounts on the left pocket my BC (SeaQuest Pro QD i3). The handle is bright Yellow.

My EMT Shears are zip-tied to the right should strap D-rings, the handle is also bright Yellow.

Remember, what we have are dive tools not dive knives and are never to be used as a weapon...

...except, of course, in the case of a shark attack... NO! not on the shark, you cut your dive buddy then swim away very quickly while the shark is busy elsewhere... :)

That's funny, that's almost verbatim what our instructor "taught" us in class. :D

I use the following criteria for knife location...

1. Ease of access in zero-viz, high stress, confusing situations (touch feel)
2. Ability to access the knife quickly with either hand.
3. Minimal risk of damaging equipment or self when drawing knife.
4. Minimal risk of dropping knife when drawing/sheathing it.

For me, those criteria dictate that the knife is located somewhere on the upper-torso, where it is accessable with either hand. My primary knife is located virtually on my center-line, on my harness waist strap. It is small (3" blade), sharp and durable (titanium). Acceptable alternatives would be EMT shears. The choice depends on the biggest danger to you...shears are better for monofilament line, steel lined rope etc. Knives are better for thick line/rope etc.

If using a secondary knife/cutting implement of small size (as a back-up), it can be placed on the LPI hose, mask strap etc. This is a good idea, especially if your primary cutting instrument is shears etc.

Big knives strapped to the calf is more about image than practicality IMHO.

Benchmade Rescue knife on the waist belt, left of the buckle, OMS shears in my right thigh pocket.

CONTRARIAN ALERT...watch some of the ARMY RANGER or NAVY SEAL videos on youtube and see where these guys mount their knives (tools). It's not about IMAGE, it's about the practicality of reaching down to your 'weak' side ( inside calf) and being able to access the item. As stated previously, I DO NOT LIKE things on my chest/vest. More streamlined,less drag and if you have to ditch, you still have the 'tool' with you.

Primary, aka 'larger knife', is worn on the inside of my left calf.
Secondary, aka 'shorter knife', is worn on my left hip waist belt.

I think I want to switch my primary knife to a set of shears.

I'm right handed. I dive a harness bp/wing combo.

Promocop pointed out that he wears his knife on the inside his calf, modeling after military, but there is a more practical purpose. If worn on the inside of calf, vs. outside of calf, less chance of it getting snagged on something. This includes you're weight belt, if you wear one.

Did you zip tie it to the grommets or how did you mount it? I have a ranger and can't see how it would fit there? thanks!

Zip tied through the gromments, zips are a divers best friend. The working end essentially slides along the waitband under the weight pocket (in the sheath).

This is easy to access blind with either hand and always on the rig. The down side is re-sheathing you are pointing the knife at your belly. Not ideal if you are routinely using it, but I have never needed my knife and lean toward using the shears anyway. So for me it works.

Put a landyard on your primary knife on your calf.

Carry two of these. One with the prybar tip for Prying **** like Clams and Wrecks and the other on your BC sholder strap for cutting nets and lines.

You should also have a third oh **** knife with a line cutter and a pair of case hardnened shears for cutting Kevlar & Spectra fishing lines.

I also rig a lanyard to my knives, and they are exactly a UK also. Also I mounted mine on my shoulder strap. That way I never drop and lose it with the lanyard attached and it's readily available at the bend of my elbow.

I used the "barnacle" screws to mount my Deep See Squeeze on the waist belt of my Halcyon rig. Easy to grab with right hand, and I can still get it with my left if needed.

Agree w/zdivezcave... shears & back up knive with line cutter are essential. I am military and normally carry 2 knives "in garrison" and 3-4 in combat. Have to be able to access with either hand if one is disabled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom