Where to mount knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Where does everyone mount their primary knife? BCD? Thigh? Forearm? Bicep? Just trying to get some ideas of what everyone else does... Calf seems to make sense, but I like the thought of the bicep too, as both make sense (and don't) for different reasons. Thanks as always everyone!

PS - Side question... Why do they make knives black? Shouldn't it be one of those big bright safety things? Like that extra breathy thing they make such a big deal out of? A squid is it? (kidding.....) Serious about the color though, I would think that a bright yellow knife would make more sense.

I mount mine on my belt on my ranger BC, knife on left, shears on right. They are both horozontal with the working end tucked under the pockets so only the handles protrude. Very low profile, hardly know they are there but easy to grab.

Keeping it on you gear all the time makes forgetting it very difficult to forget to bring it. I can reach either one with either hand. Neither is large (size does not matter here). The do make knifes in colors.

I did mount a big old pig sticker on my leg (30 yeas ago), its just one more piece of gear to deal with but if you really crave the macho / rambo look, go for it. Practice mounting you rig be swinging it over you head and you are set to impress the gals.

i have a pink z-knife on the left side of my waist belt and a pair of shears in my right pocket. i would be scared of having to count on getting to my calf if i needed a knife.

I don't use a knife, I use a line-cutter and I mount it on my chest strap so if I'm wound up in line, with my hands pinned to my chest I can reach it.

Remember, what we have are dive tools not dive knives and are never to be used as a weapon...

...except, of course, in the case of a shark attack... NO! not on the shark, you cut your dive buddy then swim away very quickly while the shark is busy elsewhere... :)

Put a landyard on your primary knife on your calf.

Carry two of these. One with the prybar tip for Prying **** like Clams and Wrecks and the other on your BC sholder strap for cutting nets and lines.

You should also have a third oh **** knife with a line cutter and a pair of case hardnened shears for cutting Kevlar & Spectra fishing lines.

titaniumtang.jpg

I also like to carry a short pry bar and a 2 pound sledge on my wieght belt for digging up stuff that I find

It is easier for me to reach my knife on my left forearm. I freedive a lot so a knife on my leg could get caught in kelp. If on SCUBA, it may be nice to attach the knife to a BC or BackPlate harness/belt or HP hose where you do not have to remember to bring it since it is always attached. I carry a pointed double edge knife on my left forearm for gutting and de-gilling/bleeding; and an Ab iron for prying and scraping mulluscs. When on SCUBA, I also have a blunt knife on the end of my HP hose. I tie bright line (lanyard) to my knives, so if I drop them I can hopefully find them.

Last edited:
I use a bright yellow dive knife, easier to find if dropped. It's attached to the back of a small pouch that's clipped between the shoulder straps, across the sternum. I figure, worst case, it's the one place I should always be able to get one hand or the other to. Cannot imagine a realistic situation where my hands would be tied behind my back.

Its location also ensures minimum possibility of entanglement. It's emergency equipment, and I probably go a hundred dives without ever pulling it from its sheath.

Being quite paranoid, I also carry a shears, folding knife, and z-style knife in the same general area.

I mount mine on my belt on my ranger BC, knife on left, shears on right. They are both horozontal with the working end tucked under the pockets so only the handles protrude. Very low profile, hardly know they are there but easy to grab.

Keeping it on you gear all the time makes forgetting it very difficult to forget to bring it. I can reach either one with either hand. Neither is large (size does not matter here). The do make knifes in colors.

I did mount a big old pig sticker on my leg (30 yeas ago), its just one more piece of gear to deal with but if you really crave the macho / rambo look, go for it. Practice mounting you rig be swinging it over you head and you are set to impress the gals.

Did you zip tie it to the grommets or how did you mount it? I have a ranger and can't see how it would fit there? thanks!

Where does everyone mount their primary knife? BCD? Thigh? Forearm? Bicep? Just trying to get some ideas of what everyone else does... Calf seems to make sense, but I like the thought of the bicep too, as both make sense (and don't) for different reasons. Thanks as always everyone!

PS - Side question... Why do they make knives black? Shouldn't it be one of those big bright safety things? Like that extra breathy thing they make such a big deal out of? A squid is it? (kidding.....) Serious about the color though, I would think that a bright yellow knife would make more sense.

Somewhere around your torso (on BCD, on shoulder or chest straps, waist belt) makes the most sense in case of entanglement. There's a risk of not being able to reach your calf if you're really wrapped up! My primary is on the waist band of my harness.

Back
Top Bottom