Where are the immediate action drills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munitor

Contributor
Reaction score
I've dug around but can't seem to find a nice collection of the immediate action drills. These are the ones that are similiar to "stop, drop and roll", "duck and cover" or "tap, rack, bang" and apply to the critical events like OOA, regulator free flow, hose rupture, tank/1st stage leak, lost weight belt, runaway BC inflation, etc.

Thanks

munitor:
I've dug around but can't seem to find a nice collection of the immediate action drills. These are the ones that are similiar to "stop, drop and roll", "duck and cover" or "tap, rack, bang" and apply to the critical events like OOA, regulator free flow, hose rupture, tank/1st stage leak, lost weight belt, runaway BC inflation, etc.

Thanks
That's a grunt, if ever I met one.:wink:

Check the basic 5 in the DIR forum. I would give you a link, but I'm using my pocket pc and it just ain't that friendly.

Not convinced standard gentle no-stop scuba needs "immediate action drills". Its not exactly like trying to fly an aircraft or getting shot at.

A few very simple basic concepts and thats about it.

In your basic open water student manual.

the K

dive_lover88:
you mean like if you cant suck any air from your tank, you fly to the surface like a trident missle?

Hmm, that would be "gasp, blast (air into BC), fly and die".

Wasn't one of the ones I was looking for. ;-)

String:
Not convinced standard gentle no-stop scuba needs "immediate action drills". Its not exactly like trying to fly an aircraft or getting shot at.

A few very simple basic concepts and thats about it.

The astonishing number of panic related deaths for scuba would indicate some very simple responses to easy to recognize conditions are exactly what's called for, and I was sure I'd seen it somewhere. Problem is I don't have Kraken's OW book with the answers in it!

The DIR crowd have it covered via standardized, nicely redundant/reliable configuration, drills and team work, but for the average OW clear water diver, diving with a single tank and octo rig, its pretty dependent on the buddy system (which has proved remarkably reliable in its ineffectiveness).

I thought for sure I'd heard of a set of these for LOA, OOA, weight belt loss, etc., in poster form.

munitor:
The DIR crowd have it covered via standardized, nicely redundant/reliable configuration, drills and team work, but for the average OW clear water diver, diving with a single tank and octo rig, its pretty dependent on the buddy system (which has proved remarkably reliable in its ineffectiveness).

Maybe that should suggest something about training, equipment, and buddies.

munitor:
Hmm, that would be "gasp, blast (air into BC), fly and die".

Wasn't one of the ones I was looking for. ;-)

The astonishing number of panic related deaths for scuba would indicate some very simple responses to easy to recognize conditions are exactly what's called for, and I was sure I'd seen it somewhere. Problem is I don't have Kraken's OW book with the answers in it!

I thought for sure I'd heard of a set of these for LOA, OOA, weight belt loss, etc., in poster form.

If you are looking for a DIR answer, you should ask this in the DIR forum. Unless you are wanting to deliberately put yourself in those situations to practice them, because then the DIR won't take you seriously, since they don't dive with unsafe divers.
As far as the "drills" go:
Practice Your skills during the safety stop. Beats the he!! out of just sitting and waiting for the 3 minutes to expire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom