Where are the immediate action drills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reminds me of an old professor of mine, who one day at school started going into a rant about economics and before we knew it, he had told us how to survive a jungle ambush. Apparently the drill is : Start feeding your M-60 gunner ammunition, switch your M-16 to full rock n roll, and charge the enemy.

Anyways back to the subject of scuba. I think every recreational diver, in order to prevent panic, needs to be able to clear his mask quickly. Your mask can come off or be kicked off without any notice. You certainly don't want to panic and bolt to the surface when this happens.

DavidPT40, exactly right. Your prof was talking about the ambush immediate action drill, which in the jungle is a near ambush and you break it by immediately charging. That gets you breathing space once you are out of the kill zone.

Mask loss is one of the ones I'm thinking of. Now where is that poster? PADI or NAUI or SSI must have one somewhere, 'ya think?

munitor:
Mask loss is one of the ones I'm thinking of. Now where is that poster? PADI or NAUI or SSI must have one somewhere, 'ya think?

Breathe through your mouth, find your mask, breathe, put it on your face, breathe, clear your mask, breathe, continue diving :D

Munitor,
Check out the 5thD-X learning center site There's lots of info on the DIR style of diving....

The system is pretty good with dealing with such emergencies.... there's a lot of thought put into creating a "Thinking diver" with a tool box full of useful skills...

There's even an emergency procedure for no mask ascents... and OOA/S-Drills (Video Link)

Give it a look and see if it appeals to you.... PM if you have more questions

Ben

munitor:
The astonishing number of panic related deaths for scuba would indicate some very simple responses to easy to recognize conditions are exactly what's called for, and I was sure I'd seen it somewhere. Problem is I don't have Kraken's OW book with the answers in it!

The DIR crowd have it covered via standardized, nicely redundant/reliable configuration, drills and team work, but for the average OW clear water diver, diving with a single tank and octo rig, its pretty dependent on the buddy system (which has proved remarkably reliable in its ineffectiveness).

I thought for sure I'd heard of a set of these for LOA, OOA, weight belt loss, etc., in poster form.

Why don't we all become DIR, ban all other agencies, and put the central committee in charge of all diving? Then all the scubaboard masters of the diving universe could tell everyone how to do it, without fear of unpleasant argument.
Would that make you happy?
Of course, GUE would have to actually create a basic open water course.

caseybird:
Why don't we all become DIR, ban all other agencies, and put the central committee in charge of all diving? Then all the scubaboard masters of the diving universe could tell everyone how to do it, without fear of unpleasant argument.
Would that make you happy?
Of course, GUE would have to actually create a basic open water course.
Feeling a little angry?

I've heard of the "blow and go" AKA the CESA or ESA, depending on your agency. :D

I dive in freshwater, so for my salt water trips, I came up with a shark immediate action drill for dealing with anything with teeth
Stop Think Act Breathe, and remember you have a Buddy

The acronym is STAB Buddy :wink:

Diver0001 came up with his ABCD's

Thats funny!!

But don't distract from the original purpose; to belittle the original question!

Bob

munitor:
The astonishing number of panic related deaths for scuba would indicate some very simple responses to easy to recognize conditions are exactly what's called for, and I was sure I'd seen it somewhere. Problem is I don't have Kraken's OW book with the answers in it!

Some catchy phrase that comes off a hollywood film isnt going to solve that. Better training standards and divers actually taking responsibility for their own actions and continuing to practice AFTER certification will. Absolutely every drill needed is in the basic text provided for the course in question. Every student should have access to that.

The DIR crowd have it covered via standardized, nicely redundant/reliable configuration, drills and team work, but for the average OW clear water diver, diving with a single tank and octo rig, its pretty dependent on the buddy system (which has proved remarkably reliable in its ineffectiveness).

And where is your proof of the statement that the buddy system is remarkably ineffective?

More complex diving require more complex drills such as valve drills. Single tank diving isnt complex.

Theres no point pretending simple single tank shallow scuba is in need of military style fast drills. It isnt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom