Total CF Buddy Pair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Currently the Eid holiday here in the UAE and some of us were very happy to get back in the water again albeit with some restrictions and but more importantly on less crowded boats.

Diving here in UAE rarely includes guides or DMs, you provide confirmation of your certification and you get on with it. Gear checks are always made before the boat leaves the marina and everyone is responsible for their own sh!t, and off we go.

The only crew member, the boat driver is rarely a diver, and in this instance, this was the case.

There were two buddy pairs (X and Y) and two threesomes, of which I was a part of with K and E, whilst the other threesome comprised of a young couple with limited diving experience and an instructor (A) that we knew.

General rule is gear up in the marina, make sure everything is fine before casting off and heading to the first dive site.

Everyone starts getting their gear together, K knows buddy pair X as they were in the same BSAC club at one point, general introductions all round with the applied social distancing on the boat etc.

Buddy pair Y now have their first issue, one of their first stages is leaking badly when their air is turned on, and we soon discover that one of the LP ports is missing the cover from the first stage. K to the rescue as she always carries some spare parts, and that issue is resolved. Made me wonder though when the reg was last used, but hey, not my problem!

Out to the first dive site, mooring in place, nice and easy 30m dive, with K, E and myself in first as we and Buddy Pair X are the only ones on Nitrox, whilst the others were on air.

K and I have stages with 80% and 50% respectively, E is on sidemount, and one of couple X has a stage with 50%.

At the end of our dive, K, E and myself complete our deco stop and upon surfacing one of Buddy Pair Y surfaces next to us apparently having done an uncontrolled ascent from an unknown depth, and he is telling us he was unable to grab the rope (mooring line) to slow down. His computer is beeping loudly and he appears to be a bit stressed. English is not his first language.

K manages to calm him down and he is asking for oxygen. Since K still has about 150 bar of 80% she offers to take him down to 5m and provide some O2 albeit 80% at that depth. His buddy is nowhere to be seen, but apparently he is coming up the line.

After only two minutes at 5m K and the panicked diver surface, with the mouthpiece from the stage regulator missing, and not swallowed fortunately, but chewed off. Anyway we get everyone onboard and he appears fine, O2 offered but declined now his buddy is back on board. I'm not expecting this guy to do the second dive.

We cruise next to the second dive site, and since the mooring has been cut off, (by fishermen we assume), we drop a shot on the site using GPS as reference. The shot is a piece of concrete almost in the shape of a curling stone with a piece of rebar loop for the rope.

Surprisingly Buddy Pair Y elect to dive again. Instructor A and our buddy E go in first with a plan to run a line from the shot should it be far from the dive site (a bunch of wrecked cars), vis is usually poor (2-3m). Everyone is instructed not to pull on the mooring line. Buddy Pair X, drop off and the what is now Buddy Pair Z also drop off, with one descending immediately and the other flaffing around to deal with a free flow on the surface, which he gets under control and eventually descends.

Now we have Buddy Pair Y, who decide to dive again and are slow at gearing up. Of course neither of them had changed their tanks during the SI, and one of them is adding extra weights to his BCD pocket whilst the other one jumps overboard because he feels seasick. The boatman throws his BCD/ Tank overboard for him to put on, which he cannot manage. K jumps overboard to assist him in getting his gear on, and then he starts shouting that his tank is empty. K checks his gauge and tells him he has 200 bar, but his computer is not registering. I notice that his computer is on a lanyard attached to his wrist and not strapped to his wrist, it looked like an Aladin Air, but I can't confirm. Now while I've seen people tie off computers to D rings I've never seen anyone have one dangling from their wrist, which is just asking for trouble like banging it off a boat ladder whilst climbing up, or even losing it.

His buddy then proceeds to off board and swim to the shot line while I gear up and roll off. K has her gear passed to her and she is ready to go in a couple of minutes.

By now we're not sure what is going on with the pair of them, but I do notice they are hanging on to the shot buoy, and I'm thinking, I hope E did put a line on the shot at the bottom as we had a slight surface current, and for sure they were dragging it.

K looks at me and signals descend, we dump air and descend trying to follow the line which I then lose sight of fairly quickly as the boat's engines are in reverse and churning up the water, I spot K below me and continue down following her then notice the line and the weight at the bottom, which is slowly moving along the sandy bottom.

We follow the drag marks in the sand and reach the dive site after a brief swim along the track. This dive site is swarming with nudis and both K and I are soon totally absorbed in taking photographs and doing what we came for.

Around 55 mins we decide that it's time to ascend and we find the shot on top of part of one of the car wrecks, someone had obviously moved it back (in fact it was Buddy Pair X). While we were having a last look around, the shot basically took off and hit me on my left leg as it moved away from the reef ascending and disappearing from view.

WTF was going on? K shot her DSMB and we ascended. On surfacing we discovered that the boatman had decided to retrieve the shotline while we were still down unknown to anyone else on the boat, who were probably all too busy sorting their gear out. I was lucky to only be hit on the leg and not my head.

Although we had good dives, there was obviously some failings in Buddy Pair Y, who were poorly prepared for this trip, as well as the boatman, who like many here are poorly trained, and barely speak English.

For most part, diving here once you are qualified, does require some reasonable skills as most dives are square profile, and given we were on spring tides, some proficiency in using a DSMB is also preferential. It never ceases to amaze me how many people go on boat dives here and don't carry one.

We did have an opportunity later, during a social distancing lunch, to give some advice to them about their future diving, and tell them to try and be a bit more prepared. Still didn't figure out why one regulator had an LP port cover missing though, but that should have been a red flag to watch out for these guys at the beginning.

I have to laugh, because I can picture the scene

Nothing here surprises me with the "non English speaking" divers..

Once last year we were happily mooching around the seaward point of Lima - we'd been in the blue and coming up the ridge

Low and behold at 35m the circus appeared. A cluster of divers, a couple carrying spear gins, and one dragging another along on his octo

For those not familiar, Lima is a a often dived rock and while the long sides have gently sloping hard reef to 30- 40m before the sand slowly trails off, the points are deep and can bee sketchy. I've had current change rapidly on me and even with a scooter getting out of "dodge" can be "exhilarating"

Certainly not a place for inexperienced divers, and No F'ing way to be swimming around the point on octo The surface currents there can also whip you off the site in no time, no dsmb (they didn't as we saw them on the surface) you're lost, very lost..

...Y surfaces next to us apparently having done an uncontrolled ascent from an unknown depth...K manages to calm him down and he is asking for oxygen. Since K still has about 150 bar of 80% she offers to take him down to 5m and provide some O2 albeit 80% at that depth. .....
After only two minutes at 5m K and the panicked diver surface, with the mouthpiece from the stage regulator missing, and not swallowed fortunately, but chewed off. ....

2 take-a-ways from this, (1) if available, O2 is always a better option than 80% since you can breath it on the surface for emergency purposes, and (2) never take a panicked diver back down.

(2) never take a panicked diver back down

I happen to know that the OP and his Buddy have both taken and qualified on a reputable in water recompression course. Given their knowledge and experience and given the medical aid often available in this area I think it was a highly acceptable course of action

Also - which readers won't know, most people live on the other coast (along with the recompression chambers) , and to get there you need to transit a 300m (1000') mountain range

I also know both the OP and his buddy, K wouldn't have taken a panicked diver down - it appears though underwater they became stressed

Soooo, you can't breathe 80% on the surface?

Sure you can, but it aint O2. I've never read anywhere, in any first aid or medical journal, where they will recommend 80% at the surface for any diving related problem.

And if you actually read my post, I never said you couldnt, merely, "O2 is always a better option" on the surface. Do you disagree with that?

...K wouldn't have taken a panicked diver down - it appears though underwater they became stressed

...he appears to be a bit stressed..... K manages to calm him down and he is asking for oxygen.... After only two minutes at 5m K and the panicked diver surface

Maybe I am misreading this, but per the OP it dont sound like the diver was ever in a good place to be taken back down. In less than 2 min the diver chews through a mouth piece....that sure doesnt sound like a calm diver to me?

In less than 2 min the diver chews through a mouth piece....that sure doesnt sound like a calm diver to me?

He was fine and comfortable to descend and breathe the 80%, he was not forced to do so, we would never do that. It was an option that he accepted, and in fact after boarding, he refused the 100% that was on offer from the boat supply.

If he had done so I would have strongly suggested we go back to the marina, off board him and collect another cylinder of 100%.

Perhaps I should have mentioned the nearest chamber is 90-120 minutes away and as @Diving Dubai mentioned a slight incline to deal with too.

In the recreational style profile described, I'd assert that pure O2 on the surface and abstaining from further diving would be far safer than the attempt at IWR that was performed. Done properly, IWR is a lot longer schedule and should have an FFM, the ability to swap to different gas sources underwater, and (ideally) not that type of patient/victim. What agency/instructor did they qualify through? What schedule are you going to run on an 80% bottle? Was there pure O2 on the boat to finish off the treatment with?

Glad you shared the story and sounds like your team was calm, but what a mess of a day. 80% is a poor choice of gas above and below the water if pure oxygen is available.

Was the missing LP port first stage a rental reg or owned?

I'd assert that pure O2 on the surface and abstaining from further diving would be far safer than the attempt at IWR that was performed

It wasn't IWR, the diver wasn't bent as far as we could ascertain, and we were trying to mitigate his lack of safety stop with an option at hand.

As for O2 on the dive boats here, unless we have an S40 with us, the Dive Op option is generally something not much bigger than a spare air and on free flow barely lasts 10 mins.

The only time we have "proper" supplies of O2 is when we are tech diving, and we bring that ourselves, not supplied by any dive ops except one.

80% is better than 21%

Back
Top Bottom