Pride is destroyed but walked away with no injuries...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes more sense, for communication purposes. I'd probably call it a drain, but I guess siphon is preferred? :idk:

The Wikipedia page may or may not be accurate, but mentions...

Siphon is a cave diving term. Drain would be the same thing.

Manatee.jpg

This is a map of Manatee. Flow goes from right to left on the map and can apparently be extremely strong. The OP entered at catfish Hotel and was lucky not to get swept along to the Manatee Springs entrance.

Lesson learned,I can actually say I understand how you felt.Last summer I got keyholed (siphoned) into a bridge system in a small canal.The pilings were running horizontally,and the spaces between them were too narrow for myself and my gear.The current was ripping.The hole in front of this bridge system was about 12 feet deep I was trapped at about 7 feet deep. As panic sat in for 1.5 seconds I remembered step one in MOST emergencies,verify air supply.My gauge read 2400 pounds so I realized that I had well over an hour to figure this scenario out.I was thinking of tying off my gear and ditching my rig as im pretty sure I would have fit through or I could have tried to swim out (less drag).Then retrieving my gear at slack tide.I ended up muscling my way out of the currents grip.My situation wasnt quite as bad as I still had my reg in.I have been hesitant to post my experience but I hope it helps someone in the future.

Lesson learned,I can actually say I understand how you felt.Last summer I got keyholed (siphoned) into a bridge system in a small canal.The pilings were running horizontally,and the spaces between them were too narrow for myself and my gear.The current was ripping.The hole in front of this bridge system was about 12 feet deep I was trapped at about 7 feet deep. As panic sat in for 1.5 seconds I remembered step one in MOST emergencies,verify air supply.My gauge read 2400 pounds so I realized that I had well over an hour to figure this scenario out.I was thinking of tying off my gear and ditching my rig as im pretty sure I would have fit through or I could have tried to swim out (less drag).Then retrieving my gear at slack tide.I ended up muscling my way out of the currents grip.My situation wasnt quite as bad as I still had my reg in.I have been hesitant to post my experience but I hope it helps someone in the future.

I was leary of posting my experience as well and identifying myself as an idiot. It finally dawned on me that I'm not an idiot. I did many things right in the mist of a full blown panic attack. However, what I am is inexperienced and I have learned a lot from it. I'm actually rather glad that it happened (my pride still smarts from it!). It has shown me how much I don't know. Now that winter has set in here in Rhode Island, I'm looking forward to where I want to dive next in the spring. I am far more cautious than I previously was and am far more interested in increasing my emergency response capabilities. I've also learned that when I am planning to dive in an area that I am not familiar with, research more. And when I'm done researching, research some more. And when that's done, talk to divers in that area. I need to make sure I know what's under the surface (tide, currents, hazards, animals, etc.). I recently just started really looking on this board shortly before this dive trip and I didn't realize the immense wealth of information that is here. I should have asked around about the dive site and what to expect, look for, skills needed, etc.

Ianr33 is correct. I hit the siphon at Catfish Hotel and am very happy that I was able to get away from being swept into Manatee Springs. I did not see a reaper sign near the entrance. Not to say that there isn't one, I just did not see one. Again, that is a lesson learned as I did not know to be looking for one.

Yep,that comes into the "You don't know what you don't know' category.

Incidentally an "inflow spring" is not a spring it's a siphon. Not common but potentially very dangerous.

Is there a "Reaper" sign at this location? (Never been to Manatee)

There is a sign further in where the cavern turns into "cave". The siphon current though starts way before you ever see that sign.

There is a sign further in where the cavern turns into "cave". The siphon current though starts way before you ever see that sign.
And what?! Can you swim out of it ok?

You can swim against it, but its easier if you use the 'pull and glide' method. Grab a rock, pull on it. Repeat till exit.

The flow at Manatee is variable with the tides and recent rainfall. I've been stopped in my tracks in there even with a scooter.

I was in there after a few days of rain. I was lucky and noticed the pull pretty early on and got a hold of some rocks and pulled out. I thankfully avoided the OP 's situation. I do believe there should be a sign outside the cavern warning about it though since it is uncommon and very unexpected.

I was in there after a few days of rain. I was lucky and noticed the pull pretty early on and got a hold of some rocks and pulled out. I thankfully avoided the OP 's situation. I do believe there should be a sign outside the cavern warning about it though since it is uncommon and very unexpected.

But if OW divers didn't go into overhead environments in the first place, it wouldn't be a problem now would it. :wink:

Are you cavern certified? Perhaps you are but cavern is not listed in the certs mentioned in your profile.

A reminder... There are lots of warnings about staying out of overhead environments unless EQUIPPED and CERTIFIED -- they start in OW class module three -- and continue at a pretty regular clip. In fact I get private messages telling me I sound like a broken record when I consistently remind divers about this... and I am sure others who try to promote SAFE and LIMIT BASED dive practices do too. In any event, many people seem willing to ignore those warnings, and would more than likely ignore a sign too... or simply not notice it.

Last edited:
I am. I forgot to add it onto here. Thank you for that reminder :) Yes it would be better if OW divers stayed out of there and yes, I've seen a few including dive ops wanting to show new divers a good time ignore those signs. Makes me sad every time. At any rate, that particular dive location was definitely a learning experience and a bit unnerving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom