When have you called a dive and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have called quite a few dives because of ME... pain, impairment, heebee jeebies etc.

I have called far more because of my buddy! :D They don't need to know it was them, but they gave me some cause for alarm.

NetDoc's Rule #2: You can call a dive at any time and for any reason: NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

NetDoc:
I have called quite a few dives because of ME... pain, impairment, heebee jeebies etc.

I have called far more because of my buddy! :D They don't need to know it was them, but they gave me some cause for alarm.

NetDoc's Rule #2: You can call a dive at any time and for any reason: NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
What is rule #1?

rule no. 1 is you don't talk about rule no. 1

:wink:

my rule no. 1 is "Stay within yourself." this means a lot to me. basically,
don't do dives you don't feel comfortable with. don't do dives you're not
trained for. don't dive to impress others. don't dive to prove anything.
follow your training. don't exceed your limits.

rule no. 2 is "be a good buddy." i'm there cause you're there. we're a team.
we're not buddied up cause we're diving. we're diving 'cause we're buddied up.
the flip side is, expect others to be good buddies. if they are not, don't
dive with them. you need them to be safe so you can be safe. being good
buddies means you both must be comfortable to call the dive at any
time for any reason or no reason at all and not have to deal with crap over it.

rule no. 3 is "relax, have fun, enjoy the dive" that's what we're here for.
if you're not relaxing, having fun, and enjoying the dive, why do it?

Mo2vation:
There is no shame in self-thumbing. If I'm just not feeling it, I bail. You gotta trust that feeling and dive with people that respect that.

---
Ken

I couldnt agreewith Ken more! MyGosh, Spidey Sense comes with wisdom, and common sense isn't common. It takes courage to call the dive over peer pressure. . .and the more experience I garner the more courageous it makes me.

What I am saying is backwards!:reaper:

It is the noobie that MUST have the courage to thumb the dive when she feels uncomfortable no matter how MASTER experienced the divebuddy/teammate is.

I have had some serious close calls, and am still working on this lesson.

Safe, deep, long diving to all,

Tevis

I have had two such situations in the past 6 months. On the first we were on the dive boat and the current was ripping. Half the divers aborted the dive before even entering the water. I went in solo but with two other divers. As we dropped down, I failed to catch the highly angled anchor line and was blown down to 85 ft with no basement in sight. I surfaced after a safety stop some 300-400+ feet from the boat. The two that descended with me ended up twice as far away. The only two who barely completed the dive were the DM and a tech diver.

In the second incident my #1 dive buddy and I entered the water in 4' surf on a beach dive. We got out past the swells and descended. The visibility was so bad that I could only see Andrea's fin when she came close to kicking me in the face. We signalled each other to ascend and aborted the dive... to rough and the vis too poor to be safe around the reefs.

It happens all the time typically due to high surf. Some of the place I dive are rocky beaches and if the surf is up you can get tossed on some rocks. I've seen some minor broken bones and come close myself so I've learned to just wait 'till next week if it is over about four feet tall.

three weeks ago a BC failure caused us to come back in after swimming out a hundred yards or so. My Son'e BC would not hold air. A few months ago my dry suit flooded, galons of 55F water came in and I had to call the dive short. I've had budies call a dive due to poor viz (I'll dive as long as I can still read the SPG and computer).

I think on average I have to not-dive due to some reason once about every six weeks and I do about two or three dives a week. Maybe a 5% "no dive rate"

H2Andy:
rule no. 1 is you don't talk about rule no. 1

:wink:

my rule no. 1 is "Stay within yourself." this means a lot to me. basically,
don't do dives you don't feel comfortable with. don't do dives you're not
trained for. don't dive to impress others. don't dive to prove anything.
follow your training. don't exceed your limits.

ah, come on. What if there's a really hot chick just *begging* you to go a few feet deeper ? :) you know you would!

does the hot chick have a sheep?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom