When have you called a dive and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac:
.all salt water. On the surface I spit out my reg. only to realize that the mouth piece was disconnected!

The exact same thing happened to me too: The mouth piece was disconnected!. I sucked in some sea water. So I tried to clear it by blowing. I tried again abd then went for the purge and found "no regulator" just the rubber mouthpiece there. I stuck the rubber part on my finger and switched to the octo.

I did not call the dive as we were already on the way out. This happed while alreasdy headed for shore

Turns out this is common. Something bumps the reg put you hold it in hard with your teath and the mouthpeice simply coms off and you don't notice untill you find yu can't clear the reg.

This weekend just presented me with a new item to add to the list. We were diving the channel side of the St. Andrews jetties near Panama City Beach, FL, and the waves, current, wakes, and whatever else conspired to remove the diver down flag clean off our float. When I looked up from the lee of a rock, there was the float sitting there completely bare, and since we were on the channel side, I did not consider it wise to continue (boats hurt), so we ascended the rocks and had a delightful trek across dry land in full scuba paraphenalia.

I had questioned the robustness of the flag's mounting, but I had told myself that they wouldn't sell something that wasn't up to par, and I likely didn't consider it as important as I did was when I was below a bare float. I've rigged all my other gear "my" way (mostly after considerable reading and questioning), and my new dive flag will be connected with more than a little plastic bit, just in case. Lesson learned.

Diving in the Philippines in March, solo but went in with a group including some members of SB. Heavy current and low vis but found a Sea Snake to take pictures of. The rest of the group went on as usual. After getting some pictures I realized after 12 minutes that the current was picking up and would take me out into the shipping lanes so I called it and came up about a kilometer out from the wall. The rest of the group went around a corner and did a regular one hour dive.
I have no qualms about calling any dive, especially when I'm solo but that was the only dive I've cut short this year.

waynne fowler:
Was that the boat in the San Juan?

Aquanautchuck:
Yep, the Sea Kiss or something like that. I had dove the boat ealier in the year and liked it but when it came time to go on the 2nd time something told me not to go. Luckly nobody was hurt but I knew many of the people on it. Not fun.
Well, if it was the Sea Kiss it wasn't in the San Juans, it was in Nanaimo B.C.

That was one very nice dive boat ... had an on-board nitrox station and everything.

It was a very strange accident, but fortunately everyone got off without anyone getting hurt. Equipment is replaceable ... unfortunately, they didn't replace the boat.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom