When have you called a dive and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving is one of the few activities with what I call "Reverse Machismo". In most sports it's all about ignore the pain, suppress your fears, and play when hurt, all this macho ride to the sound of the guns
crap.
In diving, your strength, skills, and confidence are all about knowing when it's just not right to go in or continue once under.
More often than not, it's the biggest, toughest, most experienced diver--male or female--who decides to "sit this one out", often for personal reasons and often for things only they are smart enough to detect.
I've always assumed that's how they got to be so big, tough, and experienced.

I called one dive on a boat where we were doing 3 dives, since there was a beautiful diver on the boat where she decided to work on her sun tan the 3ed dive, so I called off the dive only for me, and work on my tan next to her,,,,now she is my girl-friend of 1 year....!!!

smart man!

oh, thats much more exciting than mine...

I have bailed on many dives, in fact, I am known in these parts as "the one dive wonder".

Too cold for the second dive
The viz does not meet my standards
someone makes me mad. (oops)
I violated a wee bit
The current too strong to pull down the line
rain...I have a rule that if it's raining I don't get up (bannana pancakes and all that)
my dive buddies start chumming for sharks and freak me on dive number one
sometimes I like to gossip with the captain with no one else on the boat

so, the moral of this story is it is a good idea to call off dives for silly reasons, then when there is a legit reason, you are properly conditioned and don't even feel the peer pressure.

I called a dive, a couple years ago, when in Key Largo. I giant strided in and tried to get down, but couldn't catch my breath. I couldn't get my breathing under control enough to descend, so I climbed back on the boat and sat out the dive. I was fine for subsequent dives and have never had that same feeling, since, and have been on way tougher dives than that one. It just didn't feel right.

NetDoc:
NetDoc's Rule #1: Don't stop breathing (Boyles' Law really means Breath Or Your Lungs Explode Stupid).

That's great, what are your other rules?

And to keep this on topic. I have aborted for anxiety reasons, because of the 3 problem rule, and from a cramp I couldn't work out at depth.

Diving is one of the few activities with what I call "Reverse Machismo". In most sports it's all about ignore the pain, suppress your fears, and play when hurt, all this macho ride to the sound of the guns
crap.
In diving, your strength, skills, and confidence are all about knowing when it's just not right to go in or continue once under.
More often than not, it's the biggest, toughest, most experienced diver--male or female--who decides to "sit this one out", often for personal reasons and often for things only they are smart enough to detect.
I've always assumed that's how they got to be so big, tough, and experienced.

This was one of the lessons I learned from the dive I didn't call.

Went to the shore with new tanks last October.. Buddy was diving dry, I was diving wet. Since the wind was blowing and it was rather cool outside, he said the call was mine.

Wind was blowing even worse at the shoe, quite a bit of chop, stood there looking out.. buddy looked at me and said your thinking "no".. I replied.. Yeah, I'm thinking no.. Took him 3 seconds to hop back in the truck and say let's go eat..

Couple weeks back, hopped off the boat, started going down.. hit the ground (literally) at 20 feet.. had 3 - 4 inches of vis.. BIG THUMB UP..

Other times.. same as others.. Just didn't feel right, too tired, etc.

No questions, no pressure.. Others have thumbed as well.. I have also done the same when I thought they didn't want to dive, but didn't have the heart to thumb.. I look at them (can tell by there facial expressions) and I throw up the thumb. No big deal.

Don't worry, Walter!!!
I'd dive/fly with you any time.

I've called dives for a number of reasons.

I think the best, albeit the most difficult to rationalize to another diver, is "because something just doesn't feel right".

Don't sweat it. The ocean, river, lake will be there for a long, long time to come.

Never let the almighty dollar (read "Geez, you know how much this dive cost me?) make you do something stupid.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom