What women want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania:
<snip>

So to solve it - here is the idea which we developed here (I mean in Warsaw). Once in a while there is a workshop done for girls - how to repair your gear. After such workshop you can service your regulators, clean them, repair wetsuit, drysuit, check your tanks, reinstall and install manifold, change d rings and so on.
Usually the workshop takes a whole day but it's fun and worth it.

<snip>
Now this is something I'd definitely be interested in! But I'm guessing the reg portion of such a workshop would just be a *quick fix*, not an annual overall of one's gear? Regardless, if anyone who is planning on arranging a women's conference is reading this, please do consider this if a conference ever takes place. :)

A workshop on repair would be a splendid idea. I have the regulator bible book, but I can't make heads or tails out of the diagrams. I am mechanically challenged. It took me forever to figure out a harness.

I think regs are fairly straightforward...I watch my guy---yes, that would be great, in a conference. HEY, I soak and take my SS inflator apart and pack it with silicone, I get points for that. I work on my boat--Mania don't make me TOOO blonde okay? I can change parts as long as it is diagnostic and follows a logical sequence of eliminating variables. But to remember random sequences? forget it. But I am actually pretty handy, madame.

Computers, alarm clocks, vcrs I just have trouble with....I try, I really do.
Women should help each other with their weaknesses not call them "blonde":(

See? ...that is the thing, men will always help because it makes them feel good. A lot of women will make you feel bad because that makes them feel good.

Boo Hoo.

catherine96821:
See? ...that is the thing, men will always help because it makes them feel good. A lot of women will make you feel bad because that makes them feel good.
I'm always willing to help. Even when I have no clue how to do something
:rofl3:
But I believe in the syaing we have in Poland - two heads is not the same as one head.
BTW my latest achievment was changing - on my own - dry suit wrist seal. OK, it took me two days to get rid of the glue that stacked to my fingers, but I did it. And didn;t bother the fact that for two day my hands looked strange (with bits of almost black glue on different parts of hands :D)

annasea:
But I'm guessing the reg portion of such a workshop would just be a *quick fix*, not an annual overall of one's gear?
No, I wrote - this have to be done by authorized person. But let's say - your 2nd stage got in the sand and it's not working properly, probably a bit of sand got under the membrane. So you have to uscrew it, clean it and put back together. It's really once you know how to do it.
One thing I have problems with is which direction you unscrew or screw things. And I got a great tip during one of these workshops and now I have no problems at all.

The workshop was done by men but exclusivly for women (although later some men also took part). So instead of saying "now you take ....(here goes a technical name of the tool that doesn't ring a bell)" they said - "you take this tool (and the tool was shown)".

Mania

mania:
And this to be honest horrifies me. It means that many women don't really have more serious things to concentrate on? Is really nail polish and shampoo the most important things in diving? Why aren't they interested in decompression, IDC, and many other medical aspect of diving. After all we should know what's going on with our body while diving and not necessarily what's going on with our nail polish.

Why would this horrify you? If someone asks a question you can't assume it's the only thing they care about. Perhaps they ARE interested in DCS etc but there are already threads about it. As stated, DCS is gender neutral. Perhaps they are ALSO interested in whether or not wearing red nail polish or having a "full set" could cause an issue in case of a DCS-related emergency. It's been a while, but I recall that I wasn't to wear nail polish when I went in for surgery when I was 15. My husband was a paramedic and still is an non-practicing EMT. I seem to recall hearing him say that at an accident scene, they will push on the nail bed to see how long it takes the color to return to it- shock, bp, something along those lines- erparamedic... chime in?

And if I just paid $150 to have my hair done, I want to know what I can do to preserve the color/cut/quality whatever.

How about assuming that women who ask "what women want" questions want to know the girlie stuff IN ADDITION to the gender-neutral aspects of diving.

When I was in OW class I had no one to ask girl questions of. I went to the lady behind the desk at the quarry I did my check out dives in to ask if I could wear a tampon while diving. Stupid question? Maybe. But what if there was a concern for dive-related increased toxic shock syndrome that I didn't know about. Would that mean all I cared about was tampons?

I could care less about make-up and hair spray when I go diving (and,for that matter, in my everyday life!), but I don't look down on women who do. Personal care tips are a good suggestion IMO. The OP is specifically about what WOMEN would want to learn about. And women, in general, tend to have longer hair than men and tend to wear more make-up and be more concerned about fashion. At least, that has been my experience. I don't think these aspects should be horrifying and I don't think women who want to know things related to them should be made to feel that they are somehow less serious about their diving.

I hesitate to post this because it really irritates me when people quote segments of another person's post in order to tear apart the argument, but tear on. My only point is that, IMO, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH WOMEN WANTING TO KNOW GIRLIE THINGS AS THEY RELATE TO DIVING! I thought that was the whole point of the OP.

***edited for some grammar issues***

And, here's a question. IS DCS gender neutral? Our physiology is different from men- are there no aspects of DCS that may affect women differently from men? Are there no areas in which women are more susceptible? What about water retention- generally something I hear women complain about but I don't hear men complain about? What about PMS?

I'm not asking for an answer here- I'm answering the OP.

As far as what others have suggested:
strength training- methods, reasons why, and hazards (why not to over do it)
skin care (IMO a legitimate concern- water dries you out- especially salt water!)
gear care workshops for women- where we can feel free to ask "dumb" questions.

I always ask "dumb" questions only to find out that they aren't so dumb after all. I find that men will act as though they already know the answers and I'm simply not concerned about my pride. I'll ask the question. And, usually, it's a good thing I did. My profession- trucking- is very male dominated. More and more women are getting into it every day. But my specialization- car haul- is totally male dominated. I'm one of the few women who will go out there on my own (though normally my husband and I are together- I left him home to give him a break since he hasn't been home longer than 36 hours since last July). I hate it when customers assume I can't drive a car- and I won't allow their condescending attitudes to keep me from asking questions. I never assume I know how to start a vintage car- I always have them show me. Then I shut the thing off and do it myself. And I insist on finding 1st gear AND reverse in their presence. Hey- if I can't find reverse when I get to the delivery end or if I need to rearrange cars enroute, I'll be in a bad way!

Wow- long rant there. Sorry.

The point being- I think a lot of women are too intimidated to ask their gear questions- and other diving questions, for that matter. A forum where they won't be laughed at would be a good idea.

I am also rather surprised at how the tone turned in this thread.

I think that a women's dive conference (or something of the like) would be a very cool thing.... specifically for the reasons that Trucker Girl, The Redhead, Queen, and several others mentioned.

Women's bodies ARE very different from a man's body (physiologically and anatomically). Medically speaking, women are more prone to certain ailments. I'm not entirely sure of how diving affects a woman's body differently, however, I do remember reading something about women being more prone to DCS, based on the fact that a woman's body NATURALLY has more fat than a man's body... and higher fat content can increase the risk.

To chime in for Trucker Girl and the nail polish thing- Yup... EMTs, paramedics, nurses and docs all do squeeze the fingernails... this is called the capillary refill check. When you look at your fingernails, they should be that natural pinkish color (and pinker at the nailbeds). In an emergency, the medical professional will often "quick check perfusion". The quick way to do this is to squeeze the fingernails and let go, and watch the color come back. Try it on yourself... squeeze your fingernail and let go. Right when you let go, you'll notice that it's a whitish color, and quickly pinks up again (should be 2 seconds or less... some places around here use 3 seconds as the guideline). If it takes an extended period of time for the color to come back, then the body is not adequately perfusing the extremities, which could mean a number of things... most often #1- the body is shocky and shunting blood to the important organs... or #2- the body has lost a significant amount of blood (either external or internal blood loss) and doesn't have the volume to perfuse the extremeties. That said... there can be other issues that affect the cap refill times.... such as very cold hands (as I often have). Soooo, in a nutshell (and a long winded explanation)... Yes, nailpolish does hinder the cap refill check in the fingernails... where it is most often done. But a good medic/doc/nurse etc will know that there are other places to check the cap refill (the fingertip... not the nail side, the fleshy part of your forearm just above the wrist)... and arterial perfusion can easily be checked using the allen's test. :wink: Just food for thought.... and something that a "women's conference" can educate women on. This is not common knowledge, unless you work in emergency medicine. :)

Mania-- Your posts about "postpartum" are rather perplexing. Are you a mother? If not, then I can understand a little more. If you are a mother, then I'm a bit more perplexed, although, I'm sure that things are a bit different in Poland, and as such, may be referred to as different names. This is IN NO WAY meant as a jab at you... I am only trying to understand and shed some light on the subject.

You keep referring to postpartum as a depression. While there is a condition called "postpartum depression", it should be noted that "postpartum" by itself is merely referring to a time period after giving birth, or noting the fact that you have given birth.

Merriam-Webster's dictionary says:

Main Entry: 1post·par·tum
Pronunciation: ()pst-pärt-m
Function: adjective
1 : occurring in or being the period following parturition <postpartum depression>
2 : being in the postpartum period <postpartum mothers>

Main Entry: 2postpartum
Function: adverb
: after parturition <a blood sample taken 14 days postpartum> <an infection occurred three weeks postpartum>

While postpartum depression is common, not every woman will experience postpartum depression. Some women may experience it as a "hit or miss" thing... ie.- depressed when alone w/ or w/o the baby, or when they're not busy with something they'll feel "blue", or they'll have had a premature baby and they're ok when the baby is ok... but when the baby is ill or has a hurdle to overcome, they'll become depressed. Some women have pronounced and dangerous postpartum depression. It's different for every person.

"Postpartum Diving" could be a very informative conference topic for a woman. Many women want to know what effects diving can/will have on the postpartum body.... how long do I have to wait before I can dive again, what effects does the pressures have on the shrinking uterus, milk production, ovulation, rate of bleeding (is it possible/normal to stop bleeding for a time period after the dive, or will I bleed very heavily, or no change). And, of course... if you experience postpartum depression, key indicators to look for and say that "diving is not an option right now." (Sure, it sounds simple... but, nothing is "simple" if you are experiencing a bad case of PD). Another great topic... "The doctor says I cannot wear a tampon. Is there any other means to "catch the flow" that is safe for me to dive with, till I can use a tampon again?" (There are these things called "Instead" that are like "cups" that fit around the cervix and catch flow... are they safe postpartum... and specifically for postpartum diving?)

As we all know... finding a "diving doctor" is pretty hard to do in some places. Throw a specialty in there... "diving doctor specializing in OB/GYN" and it's even more rare. I'll bet there's some pretty interesting information out there... finding the right person to give it would be key.

Whew... long winded post! :wink:

Oops, see below.

TheRedHead:
When I was in OW, I had an issue with the weight belt digging into my hips and the male instructor was unsympathetic.

I would attend a women only dive course. The male/female differences become more pronounced in tech diving. I felt like a wimp, frankly.

This may sound trivial, but best cosmetics for the sun such as water proof mascara and how to keep your hair from looking like steel wool after a dive.

Worked with a commercial diver that has hair longer than yours, down below his waist. Any way, he would lather up with cream rense before each dive and it helped out in two ways. It kept the tangles to a minimum and it helped when it came time to rinse the critters and silt out after the days work. I think the wet hood we wore helped keep the stuff in the hair and prevented it from rinsing out in the sea water right away. Probably won't do you any good on a nice warm tropical, no-hood dive.

Solo Travel Tips
Self-defense Tips- maybe not a class, but suggestions like TAKE a class, or how to project the "I am not a victim" image.
What to expect when traveling solo in foreign countries as a woman- different cultures treat women differently.
Where to stash your valuables on a trip (I left mine all at home- and wore a plain, gold wedding band in lieu of my diamond-encircled one and engagement ring, but some women want to wear their sparklies during the shore time but not while diving).

Just spitballing here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom