What item of equipment was a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have nothing against the concept or the principle. That's why I bought the Sidekick in the first place.

But up close and personal a virtually full-size second stage hanging and swinging on the inflator is not exactly the comfortable and streamlined approach I was looking for.

Inflator is being used continuously during every dive; octopus is intended to be used during emergency situations, hopefully never (not counting training or testing).

Why take a piece of gear that is never used and attach it and make it interfere with ease of operation of piece of gear that is being handled continuously?

Perhaps, Air2 does not have this problem. But I’m not even going to try now since I am perfectly happy with a traditional octo. I know where it is, and it’s never in my way.:bshades:

Lemonade once bubbled...
. . a virtually full-size second stage hanging and swinging on the inflator is not exactly the comfortable and streamlined approach I was looking for.

Inflator is being used continuously during every dive;
1) My inflator is tethered to my left hand harness at mid chest height and so hardly moves at all.

2) Inflator used continuously?

Perhaps when approaching, and at, the bottom of the descent but not too often on the ascent, surely?

The air in the BC/wing expands on ascent and only needs venting. I am not sure what the majority of divers are taught but I now only use my right hand shoulder dump on ascent. It is conceivable that the inflator may be needed for the odd fine adjustment - if I were inadvertently to dump too much - but I suspect few divers need to use it "continuously", Lemonade! :)

Dr., please forgive me for using word "continuously". It’s not, it's just mere several times during dive… Which is incidentally far more than any other hand-operated piece of gear!
A spear gun, a camera... what else? Those are only things that I can think of and which are handled more often than the inflator during dive. Most divers don’t carry them. So that leaves the inflator.

Also I'm not sure how is that my position on Genesis sidekick implies a need for a little “Buoyancy Clinic” lecture, Dr. :rolleyes:

I use different BC dump valves (mine has three), depending on situation, including dump valve on the inflator itself and pull dump valve on the left shoulder which is open by pulling on the hose. So, my opinion for the record: "The Sidekick Octopus is getting in the way when inflating or when dumping air using one of two valves described above."

Again, I believe, the benefit of loosing a hose does not worth the inconvenience introduced by this particular species of octopus.

Air2?… I don’t know. It's possible, I would find it OK, or only a minor inconvenience.... But not the Sidekick.

BTW, there is no right shoulder dump valve on my BC. And some wings don't have shoulder dump valves... period. To fully deflate while in head up position you must raise inflator above your shoulders, and a swinging octo attached doesn't make this more comfortable.

Dr., you original reply to my post starts with words: "Isn't this a matter of personal preference?"

Yes, it is! That's that this thread is about. That's what choosing gear is about.

Equipment that was a waste of money for me was the "air buddy" or something like that...a positive pressure device to take the place of your octo...just bite on it and the device fills your mouth with air, replacing the water...yeah right! so .... after trying it on the surface (as instructions stated) then choking, gagging, and almost puking...I went back on my boat and reinstalled my "real" octo....I paid 60 bucks for this.....anyone want to trade???

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
There's nothing dangerous about the Air2, Doc. They work just fine in recreational scenarios. I think what nyscubanerd meant to say is that he really, really doesn't like it, and to him it's useless.
By the way, nyscubanerd, you just package that Air2 up and ship it to me at 2549 Aimee Drive, Montgomery AL 36106 and I'll dispose of it properly for ye.
As a public service, don'tchaknow...
Rick

As you see, Lemonade, nyscubanerd has a down on the Air 2 and also used words like "dangerous piece if junk" and it seems you feel the same. I really do hope you do not feel I was lecturing you (bouyancy control cannot be "taught" in any case, it comes with practice) but by implication you originally also implied I am using a dangerous piece of junk. What I tried to put across was that perfect bouyancy control did not come easily to me and I have thought very, very carefully as to why.

It was not my equipment it was my lack of skill. (At least I am prepared to admit that!)

I was new to dry suits and to heavy 300 bar twinsets (I also have a 300 bar twin 10s as well as the twin sevens that I normally use). Why manifolded twins? Because of the inbuilt redundancy and my aim to do more extended range diving - with twinsets all my gas is available at all times even after a first stage failure. (I now admit 300 bar was not a good idea as not all dive shops can fill to that pressure!)

What I did not forsee was the inherent difficulty in managing the varying bouyancy in both the dry suit and the wing required to maintain neutral bouyancy with kit that weighs up to 30 Kgs when the air in these cells is subject to positive feedback!

I was originally taught only to use the dump valve on the inflator but found it was not "sensitive" enough (probably because it had to be lifted as you describe) and by trial and error found the right shoulder dump much more efficient. My wing does not have a pull dump in the inflator hose, which is the equivalent.
You say
The Sidekick Octopus is getting in the way when inflating or when dumping air using one of two valves described above.
Sounds like a design fault. Surely a lump of plastic about 3 ins in diameter is easier to find than a toggle less than 1 inch in diameter? I am not familiar with the Sidekick but suspect that it may be the buttons on it that are the problem.

I make no pretences to being a superbly skilled diver but find it a little worrying when superlative terms like "dangerous" and "useless" are employed about an item of equipment without adequate justification, when in my very limited experience my set-up works very well. Perhaps Rick M puts it better than I?

I am not trying to score points, lemonade. Honest!

I am learning too, which is why I started this thread.

Peice of gear that was a waste of money?

Hmmmm... I would say anything I have bought on eBay. except for my OMS double 120's. everything else was less than expected.

Mind you I have sold some old crap for more than its worth there.

After that it would be the second stage integrated with my bcd inflator, I think Scubapro or Zeagle made it. I used it on two dives and then sold it on ebay.

Force Fins

Anything mounted as a consal, since I started using wrist mounted gauges, i can't imagine having to go back.
More eBay crap to sell.

Helmet [for diving]

Helmet mounted lights [for diving]

AquaTec once bubbled...
After that it would be the second stage integrated with my bcd inflator, I think Scubapro or Zeagle made it. I used it on two dives and then sold it on ebay.
:)

OK...the thread is kind of old, but I'm new here, so please grant me a little latitude....

WOW.

I've read, and I mean scoured hundreds of threads on this site over the last few weeks (yeah, I need a life), since I've found the site. Heck, I can't even remember how I found the site now.

I have learned more about diving (cyber -diving to quote one of you... until I put all of this stuff to practice) in the last 3 weeks than in 50 dives over the last several years.

I gotta say, this is far and away the funniest thread for me yet. Of course, it reduced to the obligatory ScubaBoard Air2 bashing, but this thread just rules. Tank boots on the TV...not one of them, but TWO! Too damn funny. Farce Fins... great for my float tube, I can't imagine diving in those stubby things.

For me, my biggest waste has to be my snorkle.

A snorkle. Please...

I used it for OW 4 years ago, I took it to East Cape (Cabo) last year for playing in the surf zone, and that's about it.

I'm racking my brain for something else.

OH... my first dive bag - a StahlSack mesh divebag/backpack. Can there be a more limp idea than putting wet gear in a mesh backpack? Anyone who's schlepped across Avalon to Casio Dive Park (or down a long dock to a dive boat) knows the value of WHEELS. Mesh backpack.... what was I thinking. My OW LDS (now OOB...go figure) saw me coming. $65 for a backpack for wet gear with holes in it. nice going, Mensa.

Everything else, thankfully has been solid.

You guys rock.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom