What item of equipment was a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvdiving once bubbled...
They sounded good before I bought them. Will I ever learn?
:boom: [/B]

It always sounds like the best thing since sliced bread, then you dive with it once or twice and...

Hmmm...

- snorkle (of course :D)
- my Seatec Manta BC (got it used from my OW instructor for $100), although I've gotten some good use out of it and am still continuing to get more until I decide on (read "can afford") something better. The Manta has to be one of the more bulky and user unfriendly BCs I've seen. It is very rugged, however.
- Dacor Pursuit fins - stiff slabs of plastic that always threatened to give me leg cramps (and sometimes did) and have finally been replaced by a pair of Volos.

Been pretty lucky with the rest of my gear so far...

Oh and one of the best ways I found to get my buddy's attention is to actually yell. Seems to work pretty well, so far and doesn't cost ya a dime!

-Roman.

Two pairs of split fins I bought before I knew beter. I got them to replace the lousy Force fins I was originally sold by the shop where I started diving.

Can't help noticing how they jump on selling all the new fads.

It was not the money i spent.

It was just the frustation.
I must have went through 3 or 4 dive slates......the one's with the little wooden pencil attached....ya....not a good combo....they fell apart after about 5 dives.
I change....and now have about 30 dives on my new one..

Tank Bangers. Only person who could hear them was me.

Any underwater light except an HID. If you own an HID you know what I mean.

Gauntlett style cold water gloves. Impossible to put on unless you grease them up first.

Nice tropical gloves when lobster hunting. The lobster tear the heck out of them. Buy the cheap cotton ones.

Octopus holders. None are satisfactory except for the one made by Dive Rite.

"Metalic" style wetsuits. Test have showed these are all hype and no substance.

Pre-packages "sav-a-dive kits. They probably have one or two
o-rings that are your size. Everything else is useless. Tie wraps, Duct tap and a dozen o-rings that work for you will save the day.

Sherwood Freedom. What a POS! Heavy, impossible to maneuver, ill fitting, impossible to empty of air, 2 small pockets one with a sauasage in it, bad weight pockets. I will stick to my SP Accent.

Also UK Bluetang SS knife. Didn't take it completely apart one night to clean it and the tang rusted. My new titanium knife that serves no purpose other than looking cool is much nicer.

Love this thread... Stuff that I have that I don't use?

My big leg-mounted dive knife. I have a little-bitty knife on my bc cumberbund now.

I read all the replies and I can't believe no one mentioned this one...

Spare Air. Bought it 15 years ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Tried it on two trips to Bonaire and it failed in some way on both trips. I lost my trust in it. It is now in the miscellaneous scuba junk box in my basement.

Snorkel!

They are handy for snorkeling though…

First and foremost. Any computer that cost over $200-300. $300 is probably pushing it. I bought a Aladin air Z nitrox. What a piece of junk.

I have spent so much money on worthless gear only to come fullswing back to the basics.

Huge Akona Travel Bag - Has wheels, fold away handle, etc - I have never used it. Waste of $200.00

Sherwood Magnum V Fins - Bought these a long time ago when I first started diving. Didn't know any better at the time. Roadales did a review of these fins, and classified them as borderline dangerous.

ScubaPro TwinJets - Good only for flutter kicks. Waste of $200.00

ScuabPro X-Tech BC - Very expensive mistake, Probably around $650.00 My BP and Harness is so much better, not to mention a whole lot cheaper.

Uwatec Aladdin Air Computer - Should have bought the Nitrox. Bought this years ago when newly certified. Have not used it in ages. Had to buy another computer that did nitrox.

Crappy 420 steel dive knife - Impossible to sharpen, poor quality sheath.

Back
Top Bottom