What is an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
hehehe... yeah, it's called an octopus

:eyebrow:

Maybe you do if you like the term but he didn't :11ztongue

Pete :)

hehehe

hey, suggest a better name and i'm there, dude

how about BSS (for backup second stage)?

H2Andy:
hehehe

hey, suggest a better name and i'm there, dude

how about BSS (for backup second stage)?

"Safe Second" has been in use and lacking anyhting better is what I try to use.

I like terms that are self evident so more alphabet soup isn't what I think we need.

Even though the owner may need to use it "sharing second" comes to mind. Or as you suggested, "backup second".

Yes I know this a David and Goliath type of notion but things have to start somewhere. I can see from the other posts that plenty agree the the octopus term is corrupted.

Pete

oh i don't know... an acronym might be just the thing (the Army loves them)

maybe not BSS, but something catchier?

H2Andy:
oh i don't know... an acronym might be just the thing (the Army loves them)

maybe not BSS, but something catchier?

howzabout "alternate second stage" ... it comes with a catchy acronym ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i thought about that one but... decided not to make an alternate second
stage out of myself :eyebrow:

NWGratefulDiver:
howzabout "alternate second stage" ... it comes with a catchy acronym ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like it -- it really fits when you watch newbies try to find it. :wink:

awsome putdown:

you don't know your Alternate Second Stage from a hole in the water, do you?

String:
The entire tangled mess of hoses, first and second stages, inflators etc are/were the "octopus" but its commonly used these days to refer to the spare 2nd stage.
Yep, that's where it came from, and what happened. I'll see if I can find the article.

I call the other second stage my Alternate Second Stage, but hadn't noticed the acronym...!!
:lol:​

Edit: Unlike SB, Dive Training magazine does not have a Search feature and copies of past article available on the web. I did read an article there a year or so ago, about the 4 hose reg configuration being dubbed an Octopus when first presented as divers were used to 1 or 2 hoses. It showed a photo of one with hoses hanging down, and a photo of an 8 legged animal with the legs hung in a similar pose.

I still think that calling the second stage and Octo confuses students needlessly, but then - I've never been an Instructor.

The guy who said sharing air from the Octopus (asin the whole system) is probably the guy who's answered correctly. Overtime the reduction of 'buddy-breathing' has meant that you only ever share from your 'octopus' through the alt-second stage, so it has probably just become convuluted to have the safe-second known as the octopus, when infact it really means sharing from your WHOLE octopus.

Back
Top Bottom