What is an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens:
Even if you only have one arm (which is the body part between the shoulder and elbow. The bit from elbow to wrist is the forearm), you still have "a biceps." There's no such thing as "a bicep." I will not budge on this.

Wouldn't ONE of the two mussles ( there is a reason it's called a BIceps ) that make up the biceps be a bicep or is it just cep??

And I'll be back.

sorry... no, mstevens is right

there is only one biceps muscle per arm (it's called a biceps because it attaches
to the scapula by two tendons)

its proper name is biceps brachii, or biceps for short

there is no such thing as a bicep, though it is a common error

( i used to teach college English... don't ask...)

btw, biceps is both singular and plural

"your right biceps is healthy"

"both your biceps are weak" (though properly, you should say "biceps brachii"
to differentiate from "biceps femoris" in the leg)

jonnythan
Because it doesn't matter. When someone says "my octopus," everyone knows what that person is talking about.

It does nothing whatsoever for the industry to change the common meaning of the term octopus and forcing a new definition for it would cause nothing but problems and confusion.

The *only* reasons to insist on this definition is because you think it makes more sense or because that's where the term originated. But it doesn't matter. It means what it means and everyone gets it.
Thats funny. I just asked several new divers what it was and NOT one knew the answer. Why because it's a bad name and nobody seems to know its your back up reg. Everybody who I asked was very clear that it was the entire set up NOT the back up reg alone. The manufacture must have had it wrong from the start and just kept going with it and confusing everybody. Not like that's ever happened before.

It makes NO sense to call a back up reg an octopus as it only has one hose.

Octopus:
1. A highly intelligent invertebrate with a hard to pronounce scientific name (Mollusca Phyllum, Cephalopoda, Octopodidae...), and a master of disguise with 8 arms.
2. In SCUBA, a conglomeration of multiple hoses at the end one of which is your spare 2nd stage for your knot headed buddy who ran out of air. However in common usage this has morphed into a reference to the spare 2nd stage.
3. A sailor on a date after 6 months at sea, also with what feels like 8 arms.

pasley:
Octopus:
3. A sailor on a date after 6 months at sea, also with what feels like 8 arms.
Thought they were Squids? :eek:ctopus:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom