What is an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Buddy breathing is when both dives use the same second stage.

How strange! When I learned to buddy breath there was no second stage.

CIBDiving:
How strange! When I learned to buddy breath there was no second stage.
I understand that the first stage regulator is the one you mount on the tank, and the second stage reg is attached to the mouthpiece.

But you and Walter are both Instructors, while I am barely a diver. How confusing is all this...?

Walter

"Buddy breathing does not involve the use of the octo. Buddy breathing is when both dives use the same second stage. "

ahem, did you actually read all the posts?

verybaddiver:
Walter

"Buddy breathing does not involve the use of the octo. Buddy breathing is when both dives use the same second stage. "

ahem, did you actually read all the posts?

Uh, that's the way I was trained..!

I think we have extended confusion as the agencies, Instructors, a manufacturers have not agreed on standard terms. This could be done, at least in English.

And why is it called an "octopus" when it doesn't have 8 legs?
Correctly, the alternate 2nd stage should be called a unipus or monopus.

Also as octopi try to camouflage themselves, the alternate 2nd stage should be likewise well disguised from your buddy instead of being bright yellow :wink:

(RAZZZZZZZ)
It's what I say no matter whether I'm right or wrong...(sarcasm)

If air comes from it when you need it - that's all that really matters.

Ken

CIBDiving:
No, because Regulators were/had Octopuses Long before the concept of pony bottles as a backup was in use. also 'Pony' bottle is a slang term absorbed into more common useage - they were 'bailout' bottles first.

Dandydon,

i know what buddy breathing is. this doesn't say that the point still stands, octopus breathing could of come from breathing from a 'shared' octopus, taking the fact that the octopus is the WHOLE system, and not just some backup-reg

.: octopus sharing could be using buddy breathing or using a alt-second stage. As i was saying obviously Walter didn't read the post right

DandyDon:
I understand that the first stage regulator is the one you mount on the tank, and the second stage reg is attached to the mouthpiece.

But you and Walter are both Instructors, while I am barely a diver. How confusing is all this...?

First, I'm NOT an Instructor and I've never wanted to be an instructor.

when I learned to dive I had an aqualung Mistral regulator - that's a double hose *Single Stage* reg. You can't pass a second stage if you don't have one! for that matter even the 2 stage double hose regs didn't pass the second stage - both stages were in the same houseing and attached to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom