What is a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMike:
I'm with Mike on that one, Dorsetboy.
You certainly don't seem to be clouded by any knowledge or experience whatsoever.
While such blissfull unawareness might be merry, it doesn't really make a good base for a statement, does it?

If you actually have an intrest in the subject, I strongly recommend you visit Diver Mole's website where you'll find the best fatality analysis I've seen so far. The Mole (madmole here on the board) has put quite some time and effort into his website, it's worth reading.

DrMike:
Bollocks

Another rb internet expert talking crap

wont lower myself to your level as you seem to have a monopoly of the gutter :eyebrow:

let me give you a few pages to look at which I have absolutely no connection with whatsoever...

www.nobubblediving.com/inspiration.htm
www.scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=569222002

www.bsac.org/news/rebreather170700.htm

If you like I'll dig out some more articles, would be lovely if you could behave like a man and appologise but I dont hold out much hope for someone as obnoxious and condescending you.

Just to point out that I have no axe to grind re rebreathers, personally couldn't care less whether or not another diver wants to use them but like everyone else on here I'm quite entitled to my own oppinion, especially when as Ive just done I back it up wih FACT. :11ztongue

caveseeker7:
I'm with Mike on that one, Dorsetboy.
You certainly don't seem to be clouded by any knowledge or experience whatsoever.
While such blissfull unawareness might be merry, it doesn't really make a good base for a statement, does it?

If you actually have an intrest in the subject, I strongly recommend you visit Diver Mole's website where you'll find the best fatality analysis I've seen so far. The Mole (madmole here on the board) has put quite some time and effort into his website, it's worth reading.

unlike some people don't profess to be the scubaboard expert on rebreathers, as I pointed out to 'dr'mike in a private message to him, my view is based not only on what I've read and seen myself but also on the information given to us during our instructor development course by the course director. I'm more inclined to believe a highly qualified professional and reports in both the non-diving AND diving media than any self professed expert such as yourself.

thanks,

Greg Jenkins

Thanks for posting the links, Greg, one of the article was new to me.
DORSETBOY:
.... someone as obnoxious and condescending you.
BJD is neither, he has probably forgotten more than either you or I will ever know about diving, OC or rebreathers. And he sure knows a lot about dive safety and accident analysis, it's part of his job.

You wrote
... tragic incidences.Several with a uk manufacturers model spring to mind whereby the 02 sensors have failed ...
Don't know which of the Inspiration fatalities (and I agree, there are too many of them) you were refering to, I asume
Ian Swift's. While the cells may have failed, the RB's warning buzzer's appearantly went off. Not heeding the alarms in the unit shouldn't blamed on the unit, but the diver. Max Hahn's rig was recovered with an empty diluent and almost empty O2 tank. If an OC diver runs out of gas, do you assign fault to the tank or the regulator manufacturer?

Even the SOS article that I hadn't read before counts 22 fatalities, 19 of them on OC ... .

We pretty much have the same sources in regards to these accidents, so I'm suprised we come to such different conclusions. Even more so as neither of us seems to be particulary fond of that rebreather.

I'm more inclined to believe a highly qualified professional and reports in both the non-diving AND diving media than any self professed expert such as yourself.
I don't call myself an expert on rebreathers. And there are only very few people who actually are experts on rebreathers in my view. I'm not one of them, I do know enough about the subject to know that. :wink:

Teaching credentials, even IT or CD, don't necessarily equate into expertise in rebreathers and/or other forms of diving that require specialized training, procedures and equipment.

Actually, unless the credentials and the experience are on whatever RB is discussed, a huge amount of OC experience might be more of a problem than a solution. You yourself said about rebreather diving
... what is a totally different type of diving to open circuit.

And the press ... don't even get me started. :D

Stefan

no pob's like you say, statistics can be taken by either point of view to mean totally different things. I'm quite happy to have a discussion and I'm quite happy to accept I can be wrong as well as right, just don't see any need to descend to a level of personal abuse!

Yep, it was Ian Swift's tragic accident I was refering too. I agree wit you the non-diving press tend to misunderstand diving generally and tech diving in particular

DORSETBOY:
I'm quite happy to have a discussion and I'm quite happy to accept I can be wrong as well as right, just don't see any need to descend to a level of personal abuse!
You'll find that most people in this forum, if not this board in general, will agree with that. Including BJD and I. I apologize if I stepped on your toes too hard, but your initial post really came across like just another CCR bashing.

I've been at the receiving end a couple of times and know it ain't fun. I really wish there would be better and more solid accident data available for analysis. As is, most of the reports published leave much to be desired, and make it hard to have a constructive discussion.

Stefan

Dorset boy,

I dont regard accusing you of talking bollocks as being personal abuse. I didnt mean to personaly insult you and I apologise if I did........ but you were taking bollocks.

Nothing in those reports support your claim of a generic sensor fault that has killed divers (your plural) and has been rectified by the mnf.. Im sick of RB no nothings like you throwing these unfounded and unsupported ideas around as if they are fact.

Im sorry if your sensitivities have been hurt but just look at the crap RB divers have to put up with. In this thread alone weve had rb no-nothings calling them suicide machines etc and then you come along and say nonsense about generic faults in sensors killing divers and the manufacturer making changes blah blah blah

Ive read those reports and a heck of a lot more than them as 99% of all RB divers do before and after we get one.

We are not STUPID these things are our LIFE SUPPORT systems - we put our life in the hands of these things on every dive, we trust them, we would be stupid to do so blindly. For you to apear from nowhere and start telling us how they work (or dont work) and how they are faultly and have killed people with a generic fault based on what someone down the pub told you (and factualy incorrect) is insulting and quite frankly - bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom