What is a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMike:
rb no-nothings calling them suicide machines etc

DrMike, Im an SCC instructor not a "rb no-nothing" (sic) and it was said tongue in cheek, chill out and dont be so sensitive.

And as far as the inspiration, I have to go with DorsetBoy and GI3 on this one.

cancun mark:
DrMike, Im an SCC instructor not a "rb no-nothing" (sic) and it was said tongue in cheek, chill out and dont be so sensitive.

And as far as the inspiration, I have to go with DorsetBoy and GI3 on this one.

Whats a SCC?

Do you mean SCR?

GI3 knows about as much about ECCRs as Dorset boy - probably less so his opinion impresses me about as much as your sense of humour does when you refer to them as 'suicide machines' - ha ha ha ...funny, or the fact your a SCC (whatever that is) instructor

As far as chilling is concerned Im very chill I just call it as I see it. Dorset boy is the one whos feelings are all hurt.

I think its really funny You felt the need to mention GI3 - thats so funny - thanks lol :D:D

By the way - none of this changes the fact he was talking bollocks :D

Mike, chill boyo bach. Clearly you have one opinion and we have another, I'm able to use evidence (inc a coroner's report) to back up what I say and you have your supporting evidence for your argument.

Your childish attitude however does you a disservice.

Just to clear (or muddy?) the water further, I'll have a look for another article I read relating specifically to the buddy inspiration.

A rebreather is just a tool used to get a specific task completed.

All are specialized in thier own way and require extensive training and dive experience to opperate safely.

As any one of use here that own rebreathers know, they can be very dangerous if not maintained and dove correctly.

DORSETBOY:
www.divernet.com/news/stories/death290504.shtml

Hopefully Mike you might find yourself able to read a few of these articles, I think they make interesting reading and should'nt be dismissed as glibly as you have done previously.

thanks,

Greg Jenkins

Greg,

The way I see it you have two choices

1) you can choose to believe we are all in denial and basically stupid suicidal idiots.

or

2) you can choose to believe we have all done our homework read ALL the reports read mad moles site, thought about it, analyzed it, searched out the truth, discussed it for hours at an end on forums and lists and then finally concluded that the units are as safe as the diver that controls them.

So which is it?

DORSETBOY:
---Several with a UK manufacturer's model spring to mind whereby the 02 sensors have failed and divers are believed to have passed out underwater. I believe that subsequent upgrades to the model in question have rectified this problem.---

Dorsetboy, et al,

I find myself a bit concerned with this statement. I follow the accident statistics and reports as closely as possible, using Coroner's Reports, news reports, sources such as this board, and certain more technical boards. I constantly peruse Diver Mole's excellent site. I also get information from certain factory reps, and manufacturers whom I know personally, which sometimes is actually useless, because I am not at liberty to divulge it.

I go to this length to mention this only because I am concerned about the comment above.

I believe it is obvious to all and sundry which "UK manufactured rebreather" we are talking about here. I will simply say this: "I know of NO case where a diver's death was attributed to a maufacturer's defect in which 'the O2 sensors failed, causing the diver to pass out underwater." This is what is implied by this statement, and it is simply not so!

Sensors have failed. Divers have passed out underwater. Diving re-breathers requires different skill-sets, and more attention to your "cockpit environment", if you will.

I say again, however, that the inference of your statement above is just not correct!

BJD

DrMike:
Greg,

The way I see it you have two choices:

1) You can choose to believe we are all in denial and basically stupid suicidal idiots.

or:

2) You can choose to believe we have all done our homework, read ALL the reports, read Mad Mole's site, thought about it, analyzed it, searched out the truth, discussed it for hours (--Ed. note: ENDLESS HOURS--) at an end on forums and lists, and then finally concluded that the units are as safe as the diver that controls them.

So which is it?

I know, teacher, I know!! Call on me!!! (waving hand in air frantically) :eyebrow:

DrMike:
Greg,

The way I see it you have two choices

1) you can choose to believe we are all in denial and basically stupid suicidal idiots.

or

2) you can choose to believe we have all done our homework read ALL the reports read mad moles site, thought about it, analyzed it, searched out the truth, discussed it for hours at an end on forums and lists and then finally concluded that the units are as safe as the diver that controls them.

So which is it?

I'd go for option 2. Don't think for a moment that you are an idiot.. for using a rebreather cat least... :eyebrow:

what you've done is to weigh up opinions, facts, etc and concluded that you feel that taking all into account rebreathers are either safe, or sufficiently safe to use.

Personally, having looked at opinions, facts, etc I do not feel that rebreathers are safe.

Thanks,

Greg Jenkins

DrMike:
the units are as safe as the diver that controls them.

I think that is pretty much what everyone has been saying right from the start.

Why is George Irvine funny?

I know Curt is not an idiot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom