What happened to Thanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm quite aware of how it got started Steve. Unless you've forgotten, I was involved in that original protest. But it also went well beyond that at some point, even after the person in question was no longer part of staff. And please don't tell me that there weren't "races" to be the first to hit certain numbers.

I am fully aware that you were part of that in the beginning. If we ever brought the large numbers up in public it was as a joke CD and you know it. To claim it was a status symbol is to lead people to believe that we felt we were better than others because of our thanks count. And anybody that believes that no matter how legitinmate the thanks were, is the reason the thanks count is bad. None of else fell for that :turd: as it seems others did.

I am fully aware that you were part of that in the beginning. If we ever brought the large numbers up in public it was as a joke CD and you know it. To claim it was a status symbol is to lead people to believe that we felt we were better than others because of our thanks count. And anybody that believes that no matter how legitinmate the thanks were, is the reason the thanks count is bad. None of else fell for that :turd: as it seems others did.

<----------------Thanks Received: 39,775 times in 4,161 posts :D

Maybe you missed the quotation marks around the term "status symbol" indicating that the term was used to convey special effect or irony? I used the term to illustrate how some people viewed it. I didn't say I agreed with it, or that was how you intended it.

<----------------Thanks Received: 39,775 times in 4,161 posts :D

I'd thank that, but I ran out today! :giggle:

Maybe you missed the quotation marks around the term "status symbol" indicating that the term was used to convey special effect or irony? I used the term to illustrate how some people viewed it. I didn't say I agreed with it, or that was how you intended it.

Then it is those people that are the problem. The THANKS is NOT and never will be an acceptable measure of how valid a posters comments are or how knowledgeable they are or how trustworthy they are.

Then it is those people that are the problem. The THANKS is NOT and never will be an acceptable measure of how valid a posters comments are or how knowledgeable they are or how trustworthy they are.

I think that was the whole point of this to begin with? :idk:

It doesn't matter if there are counters or not, or if we even have Thanks or not. The only thing it measures is that someone else agrees with it, not the validity of it.

Cave Diver:
And please don't tell me that there weren't "races" to be the first to hit certain numbers. Or comments over who had the highest T/P ratios?

So what? Why is that a problem? If I remember correctly, those who were doing it volunteered to stop.

ScubaSteve:
Then it is those people that are the problem.

How were they a problem? They were playing and having fun. I thought it was silly, but it wasn't hurting me or anyone else. Even if they were a problem (not a statement with which I agree), they volunteered to stop and thereby ceased being a problem.

The THANKS is NOT and never will be an acceptable measure of how valid a posters comments are or how knowledgeable they are or how trustworthy they are.

AHEM!!

<----------------Thanks Received: 39,776 times in 4,161 posts :D

(see.....proof!)

So what? Why is that a problem? If I remember correctly, those who were doing it volunteered to stop.

How were they a problem? They were playing and having fun. I thought it was silly, but it wasn't hurting me or anyone else. Even if they were a problem (not a statement with which I agree), they volunteered to stop and thereby ceased being a problem.

Dang, Walter, I'd thank this, but I'm out today . ..

thanks

Back
Top Bottom