What happened to Thanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln.

Then again, it's NetDoc's board and he can do what he dang well pleases! :)

I haven't missed that at all, but that function was restored. The thanks count was removed because "it caused a lot of problems that weren't obvious from the outside looking in." I'm still trying to understand what those problems were.

Thanks was removed because you answered a question about the thanks count with information about thanks several months after it happened?

Ok, this has all been explained several times already but I'll attempt it one last time.

There were issues over the way the thanks button was being used and the divisions and flaming it caused in certain threads. There were excessive numbers of posts needing moderation that were a result of these divisions. Staff was reviewing how to best deal with the problem in a lengthy discussion. Pete read part of the discussion, misunderstood the consensus and disabled the Thanks Hack entirely. On the reinstallation of the hack to correct that mistake, the counter was left off the posts and the thanks were limited. That part was done to address the "abuse" of users driving up their counts as a "status symbol." If you really want to know your thanks count, it is still available on profile stats. And the limit has been adjusted several times and is sufficient enough that most people are unlikely to exceed it in a single day.

The initial problems that led up to these actions and that caused the button to be mistakenly deleted in the first place are now being addressed on individual basis.

Separate issues, separate resolutions, linked by a common feature. That's as clear as I know how to make it without quoting the reported posts, and that isn't going to happen.

How about CVChief's request to move this out of Cozumel?

It doesn't appear to make sense. So far, there is no evidence that there was ever a reason for removing the thanks count. It looks like someone simply made a mistake and doesn't want to admit it. I could be wrong, but ....

It was a mistake and it was admitted. Pete said publicly that he misread the discussion and apologized for the action. I've quoted that post and linked to that post already, not sure why you don't understand that?

How about CVChief's request to move this out of Cozumel?

CVChief is not the OP. Since the OP who started this thread has only posted in the Cozumel Forum, if it gets moved out of here they may not see the responses. Out of respect for them I think it should stay here until they ask otherwise.

Makes sense. Thank you.

Status symbol? Sorry but anybody that thinks those members were considering their thanks count a status symbol should understand that they do not have a clue what those members are thinking.

Those members of which you speak started it as a joke against a micromanaging putz because he was stalking their every move on the board. From there, it simply carried forward as "thing they do". People knew it....and it hurt nobody. Apparenlty it annoyed the hell out of a couple though....I am OK with that.

Did some posts get thanked in arguments because people took their sides? Sure they did and STILL DO. You guys have done nothing more than further split ScaubBoard. But really, I do not care a whole about the Thanks function. It is nice to have but that group was ready to stop using it anyways. Staff just made themselves look really bad for no real reason IMO.

.On the reinstallation of the hack to correct that mistake, the counter was left off the posts and the thanks were limited. That part was done to address the "abuse" of users driving up their counts as a "status symbol." If you really want to know your thanks count, it is still available on profile stats.

DISCLAIMER

If anybody ever mistook me for a SCUBA POLYMATH because I had a huge THANKS COUNT :eyebrow: then I am truly sorry. I am just an opinionated diver. That is all.

Status symbol? Sorry but anybody that thinks those members were considering their thanks count a status symbol should understand that they do not have a clue what those members are thinking.

Those members of which you speak started it as a joke against a micromanaging putz because he was stalking their every move on the board. From there, it simply carried forward as "thing they do". People knew it....and it hurt nobody. Apparenlty it annoyed the hell out of a couple though....I am OK with that.

Did some posts get thanked in arguments because people took their sides? Sure they did and STILL DO. You guys have done nothing more than further split ScaubBoard. But really, I do not care a whole about the Thanks function. It is nice to have but that group was ready to stop using it anyways. Staff just made themselves look really bad for no real reason IMO.

DISCLAIMER

If anybody ever mistook me for a SCUBA POLYMATH because I had a huge THANKS COUNT :eyebrow: then I am truly sorry. I am just an opinionated diver. That is all.

:thumb: (Sorry, ran out of 'thanks' already!)

I'm quite aware of how it got started Steve. Unless you've forgotten, I was involved in that original protest. But it also went well beyond that at some point, even after the person in question was no longer part of staff. And please don't tell me that there weren't "races" to be the first to hit certain numbers. Or comments over who had the highest T/P ratios?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom