Strange Wind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because of the shape of the island and it not being oriented due north and south, Strong North or South winds have opposite effects with waves. When a "norte" hits most of the northern part of Cozumel is blown out, while the southern end can be pretty calm, and the east side is like a lake. Since all the dive boats are based in the north this closes the port completely.

When this oddity of a strong SSE wind occurs the northern part of the coast remains fairly calm, and thankfully the Port Captain allows some aquatic activity.

The line of demarkation varies with the wind—when SSE the line may be at Chankanab, when ESE like yesterday the 20th, it was Palancar.

Dave Dillehay

Because of the shape of the island and it not being oriented due north and south, Strong North or South winds have opposite effects with waves. When a "norte" hits most of the northern part of Cozumel is blown out, while the southern end can be pretty calm, and the east side is like a lake. Since all the dive boats are based in the north this closes the port completely.

When this oddity of a strong SSE wind occurs the northern part of the coast remains fairly calm, and thankfully the Port Captain allows some aquatic activity.

The line of demarkation varies with the wind—when SSE the line may be at Chankanab, when ESE like yesterday the 20th, it was Palancar.

Dave Dillehay
Here at the Villa Aldora, in the near north, the ocean is very calm and snorkelers are having a blast...even some sunshine! But darn, the port is still closed at 1:30. NOW OPEN AT 2.

DAVE DILLEHAY

Maybe I am jinxed, but when we were here last April-May (2023) the SE wind shut down the southern reefs for a few days. No rain, though. We left the dock headed for Colombia before the closure was announced, but when we rounded the bend in the island and got to the north end of Palancar, the seas came up and the boat captain said “no mas”. We dove there but when we came up we were all alone. Getting back on the boat was… challenging.

The pool was open yesterday and today but closed last night. We can actually see the sun right now!

Here at the Villa Aldora, in the near north, the ocean is very calm and snorkelers are having a blast...even some sunshine! But darn, the port is still closed at 1:30. NOW OPEN AT 2.

DAVE DILLEHAY
Port opened at 8AM; we dove Cedral and San Clemente at 10AM. Lots of boats were out

Port opened at 8AM; we dove Cedral and San Clemente at 10AM. Lots of boats were out
Yes Gordon,

I was wrong about the opening. My observation was only watching the lack of boats leaving Abriggo until 2..

Forgive my transgression.

Dave Dillehay

Yes Gordon,

I was wrong about the opening. My observation was only watching the lack of boats leaving Abriggo until 2..

Forgive my transgression.

Dave Dillehay
No problem; this weather event has been a PITA for us all.

We went to Cedral yesterday morning in the driving rain, but things got better after that. It rained like hell again last night, though.

No problem; this weather event has been a PITA for us all.

We went to Cedral yesterday morning in the driving rain, but things got better after that. It rained like hell again last night, though.
With all that rain, how's the viz? I'd image there'd have to be a lot of particulate matter in the column :(

With all that rain, how's the viz? I'd image there'd have to be a lot of particulate matter in the column :(
My Son reported less than 50 ft at Santa Rosa. But the wind looks to be good for another week, below 10-15 its but still SSE.

dave dillehay

Back
Top Bottom