Strange Wind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wednesday the 19th, the port is still closed and the culprit for this strange wind seems not to be the low in the gulf—but a unusually strong Central American Gyre. That is basically, a very large low pressure area centered over Central America. Like all low pressure areas the winds are counter clockwise, thus coming at Cozumel from the Southeast. The bad news is that is expected to go on a week or more but with any luck some of our Northern areas may be open at times.

Sorry Gordon

Dave Dillehay

Wednesday the 19th, the port is still closed and the culprit for this strange wind seems not to be the low in the gulf—but a usually strong Central American Gyre. That is basically, a very large low pressure area centered over Central America. Like all low pressure areas the winds are counter clockwise, thus coming at Cozumel from the Southeast. The bad news is that is expected to go on a week or more but with any luck some of our Northern areas may be open at times.

Sorry Gordon

Dave Dillehay

Look at any wind map. The winds impacting Cozumel currently are directly flowing counterclockwise around PTC1. It is part of the same broad circulation flowing around that low. Hopefully you will get some relief here eventually. That same low is also bring fairly strong easterly winds to South Florida at the moment. Also "unusual" for this time of year.

Always keep in mind that this time of year, tropical systems will upend any "usual" weather pattern.

Man I feel bad for you guys that are there in the off season (which I also like to do, despite the heat). Such a bummer. Hoping this doesn't become more and more common in the coming years, but I fear the opposite.

Man I feel bad for you guys that are there in the off season (which I also like to do, despite the heat). Such a bummer. Hoping this doesn't become more and more common in the coming years, but I fear the opposite.

None of this is new. Hurricane season (Jun-Oct) has been a thing forever. If you are going to go anywhere in the Caribbean, Gulf Coast or Southeastern US in those months, tropical systems are a risk. They always have been. You can certainly argue storms are getting more frequent or more intense. I will leave that to the scientists and politicians. But we have ALWAYS had tropical systems in this part of the world. It is something to be aware of when scheduling your diving between June and October. Sharing this to help those who may be clueless about weather in this part of the world.

None of this is new. Hurricane season (Jun-Oct) has been a thing forever. If you are going to go anywhere in the Caribbean, Gulf Coast or Southeastern US in those months, tropical systems are a risk. They always have been. You can certainly argue storms are getting more frequent or more intense. I will leave that to the scientists and politicians. But we have ALWAYS had tropical systems in this part of the world. It is something to be aware of when scheduling your diving between June and October. Sharing this to help those who may be clueless about weather in this part of the world.
BUT THIS EVENT IS OUT OF THE ORDINARY, EVEN FOR HURRICANE SEASON. I HAVE BEEN HERE IN COZUMEL FOR 32 HURRICANE SEASONS AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT LIKE THIS. BTW, THE LAST TIME COZUMEL WAS HIT BY A HURRICANE WAS 19 YEARS AGO, WILMA!

LOOKS LIKE IT MAY LIGHTEN UP BY SATURDAY-- ALMOST SURE FOR SUNDAY.

DAVE DILLEHAY

Port remains closed
1718849575423.png

Attachments

• June 19 eng.docx
    85.2 KB · Views: 20
BUT THIS EVENT IS OUT OF THE ORDINARY, EVEN FOR HURRICANE SEASON. I HAVE BEEN HERE IN COZUMEL FOR 32 HURRICANE SEASONS AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT LIKE THIS.

LOOKS LIKE IT MAY LIGHTEN UP BY SATURDAY-- ALMOST SURE FOR SUNDAY.

DAVE DILLEHAY

I’ve never been to Cozumel but I do know a thing or two about tropical weather. You’re clearly convinced this is unprecedented. Nothing I have any interest in arguing about. I hope the sky stops falling and the winds eventually die down soon and you all can get back about your business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom