What happened? South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
From what i read the dive went ok until getting back to a safety line at a shallow depth (?). I assume that by "hang line" you mean a rope of some 15-20ft max depth for deco or safety stops? ........

Im not sure why there is a post about AGE above - has there been a post-mortem that found this to be the cause of death or is it supposition ?

If it is AGE its an elementary breath holding mistake. I cant see how low vis (for that area) could contribute to this.

AGE wouldn't necessarily be due to a breath holding mistake in a case like this. Depending on the sea state, holding tight onto a hang line could cause you to travel a good distance in the water column. Could be a critical factor in the development of AGE or pulmonary barotrauma in those last 33 FSW.

PRL:
NN will remedy it self, but if memory serves well, CNS Tox seisure is fatal in most diving situations. I think US Navy published a paper on the subject and concluded that there is no viable procedure to help a diver experiencing a CNS tox seisure. Problem is if a diver stays at depth he is going to drown and if he is moved to the surface he will get an abolisim. There is no way to force air out of a seazed diver.

CNS O2 tox can cause a seizure, but is not universally fatal. Occurring at depth, it can lead to drowning (loss of reg, continued respiration in an unconcious state). Much like a seizure on the surface, someone in a post-seizure (post-ictal) state hasn't necessarily stopped breathing.

Also, the problem with extraction of an O2 tox seizure at depth is more along the lines of developing DCS during ascent, not AGE (as long as rescue diver keeps affected diver's airway open), though both are possible. You are right though, if a diver is STILL seizing as s/he is traveling up through the water column, there is now way for them to breathe properly and could definitely get an AGE in this case. Haven't read the paper you mention myself though. Do you have the reference?

It is difficult to hypothesize what happened in this diver's case-- sounds like AGE/pulmonary barotrauma. But someone mentioned also that she signalled she was feeling ill at depth? Can't necessarily rule out other medical (non-diving related) events (arrythmia, etc).

My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

she was feeling ill at the 15 ft line. during a safety stop.. Me and buddy were behind them on the descent line and came close deco dive at depth.. But ascended and pickup time on the way up.. She came up after us {she had to be in deco} ..her dive partner didnt reset computer and it went to straight 50 eanx but continued the dive..I do remember that the whole group was checking one anothers computer at the 15ft line .. And there dive master slash friend decided to go up with her at some point..even though he was not her partner..There must been evidence of a problem..DM said her eyes rolled back at the surface..es

lo-vizdiver:
AGE wouldn't necessarily be due to a breath holding mistake in a case like this. Depending on the sea state, holding tight onto a hang line could cause you to travel a good distance in the water column. Could be a critical factor in the development of AGE or pulmonary barotrauma in those last 33 FSW.

An arterial gas embolism wouldn't have anything to do with breath holding. The breath holding would cause a lung expansion injury but wouldn't be the direct cause of an AGE. The AGE is caused by gas coming out of solution too quickly with the unfortunate risk of precipitating an embolic event. As far as the autopsy report...They cannot always detect an embolus...especially gas emboli because it could have lodged in an arteriole and been very difficult to detect....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom