What ever happened to RESPECT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My parents busted the hell out of me a few times (all of which I deserved, including the time (I was 15) when my mom punched me in mouth for telling her I was "too big for her to whip (my mom's 5'11 (the same height as me) but weighs 105 soaking wet; I had 50 pounds on her at the time and thought I could stop her- WRONG!)). It kept me in line, it never was "abuse" (which in my books means you do lasting damage or smack the kid around just for the sport of it) and there are some things that only a good spanking can cure (EVERY PLEASE PAUSE AND PULL YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER....THANK YOU.)

Foo:
Just a tirade from a schoolteacher who is tired of feeling the brunt of the blame for the ills of society. Children are a product of the homes, first. Responsibility for teaching respect begins at a very young age, and really continues for a lifetime. Hopefully, families will teach a strong basis of caring and loving, FIRST. That's where it all begins.

As the offspring of a schoolteacher, I just want to say....WELL SAID!! :cry:

Foo:
Perhaps if so many kids didn't see their parents/guardians cheating on their taxes, screaming at other drivers, beating each other up, pushing to be first in line, berating each other, using this phrase: "what is that crazy teacher THINKING!", or "that stupid president of ours", or perhaps this one, "all that preacher wants is money", there would be a modicum of respect left for them to mimic.

Just a tirade from a schoolteacher who is tired of feeling the brunt of the blame for the ills of society. Children are a product of the homes, first. Responsibility for teaching respect begins at a very young age, and really continues for a lifetime. Hopefully, families will teach a strong basis of caring and loving, FIRST. That's where it all begins.

Foo

I never blamed my teachers for any of my short comings, those would be the fault of me and me alone (unlike many people, I am completely comfortable with my own fallibilty (spelling?))

I never meant to imply that it was the teachers faults that the kids in my German class were morons. No, that would be their fault and their parents fault. If you have to pick a faceless organization to blame, lets choose the government for demanding standardized education results at a certain level and punishing by cutting funding if they results don't meet their expectations (kind of an educational "THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORAL IMPROVES").
Standardized testing leads to children only being taught what is necessary to score high on the tests and nothing else- time in the classroom is precious and should not be wasted cramming for unnecessary BS testing so you can rank schools. If you must demand tests, have a graduation exam but don't just put math and English on there....require history, literature, science, etc. There is so much that is lost by narrowing your focus.

I apologize Foo if my words offended you. I did not mean to imply that I dislike or do not appreciate the invaluable service that teachers provide. You are part of one of the most difficult, underpaid, and most maligned professions in the world. You should be (as you seem to be) quite proud of your service. I owe most of my love of learning to my teachers and I am still friends with many of them from elementary all the way through high school. Several of them will be honored guests at my upcoming wedding. They deserve to be there as much as my parents and other relatives for they contributed to my being the person I am today as much as anyone.

I did a presentation for a group of third graders one time about being a firefighter and EMT. We pulled out all the stops for it (brought in all of our apparatus and had a local medevac helicopter land in the school parking lot so the kids could look at it). The teacher came up to thank me (I was the ranking representative of the department there) and told me she didn't know how we did what we did, running into burn buildings and deal with hurt people and she told in front of her class that we were real life heroes. The kids all clapped for us. I told her it's not that hard to be a FF/EMT most of the time, that I had no idea how she could do what she did, teaching kids all the time. I had the kids give her a round of applause. She blushed and looked like she was going to faint. The point of this little story is that what I do as a volunteer firefighter and EMT is much easier than what you do as a teacher. We may get a lot of public recognition, not nearly as much some of us (the gloryhogs) would like, but it is not nearly as much as teachers deserve. My hat is off to you. I don't know what else to say. Yes I do: THANK YOU!

-Steve

My comment in regards to my intents to home school my children was meant to be an indication of my displeasure with the government for cutting funding for vital arts, music, and other liberal arts education, which is just as important as any other type of education.

Respect went the same place as parents taking responsibility for their kids.

Responsibility for one's actions? What's that? Responsibility for what their kids do? Are you nuts?!

medic_diver45:
<snip>
I did a presentation for a group of third graders one time about being a firefighter and EMT. We pulled out all the stops for it (brought in all of our apparatus and had a local medevac helicopter land in the school parking lot so the kids could look at it). The teacher came up to thank me (I was the ranking representative of the department there) and told me she didn't know how we did what we did, running into burn buildings and deal with hurt people and she told in front of her class that we were real life heroes. The kids all clapped for us. I told her it's not that hard to be a FF/EMT most of the time, that I had no idea how she could do what she did, teaching kids all the time. I had the kids give her a round of applause. She blushed and looked like she was going to faint. The point of this little story is that what I do as a volunteer firefighter and EMT is much easier than what you do as a teacher. We may get a lot of public recognition, not nearly as much some of us (the gloryhogs) would like, but it is not nearly as much as teachers deserve. My hat is off to you. I don't know what else to say. Yes I do: THANK YOU!

-Steve
Now if only teachers could be paid what most athlete make!
<<<----Husband of teacher

Scubaguy62:
On a different note, what happened to speaking proper English? I'm constantly correcting my 14 yr. old when she says things like "me and my friend," or "da crib." Don't they teach them in school that it's not polite to refer to you before referring to others and that the correct way to say that is "my friends and I?" /QUOTE]

I think this is not a matter of proper English, it's the matter of up- bringing. My mother used to correct me saying "monkey always goes first".
Mania

fgray1:
What a joke.
I won't explain this statment.
You figure it out.

So maybe I'll do it. When I said "I and my friend" she said - "monkey goes first?" - meaning that I'm a monkey so I have to go as the last one, not the first one.
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom